Whole Pompano, Grilled

Started by ChileRelleno, March 06, 2016, 09:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Went fishing yesterday and we caught some Pompano and Bluefish.

Whole Pompano, Grilled
gutted, fins trimmed, washed and dried
make 3-4 vertical cuts along fish
rub fish with olive oil, inside and out
heavily salt and season inside body cavity and cuts

I use a grilling basket to keep the fish from stick and falling apart when turned

Grill over med/high-high heat each side for approx 6-8 minutes on each side

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

RiverAngler

Nice! You know when it disappears like that it was done right.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Dominick

Chile, I think, without really knowing but Pompano must taste like trigger fish.  I discovered trigger fish and I find it to be a most delicious fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

That's how I do Pompano also. Nothing wasted and yummy. I might have to dig out my surf gear and give it a try . Haven't surfed fished this winter at all yet.

DaBigOno

That looks yummy for my tummy! 

All I would need is a bowl of rice  ;D
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

ChileRelleno

Quote from: RiverAngler on March 06, 2016, 11:15:02 PM
Nice! You know when it disappears like that it was done right.
Fresh caught fish always disappears fast at our house, nobody turns their nose up at fish in this family.

Quote from: Dominick on March 07, 2016, 12:12:32 AM
Chile, I think, without really knowing but Pompano must taste like trigger fish.  I discovered trigger fish and I find it to be a most delicious fish.  Dominick
I think they're distinctly different, Trigger is very good but Pompano is fantastic.
My favorite inshore fish with white meat are Pompano, Spadefish and Flounder, those three are pretty similar in flavor and texture.

Quote from: DaBigOno on March 07, 2016, 02:56:49 AM
That looks yummy for my tummy!  

All I would need is a bowl of rice  ;D
Funny, rice and raw veggie tray were the sides with the fish.
It was a coin toss between rice or grits.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Reel 224

They would be delicious as well steamed whole with Soy and vegetables...and rice of course.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ChileRelleno

Quote from: conchydong on March 07, 2016, 12:18:13 AM
That's how I do Pompano also. Nothing wasted and yummy. I might have to dig out my surf gear and give it a try . Haven't surfed fished this winter at all yet.
I prefer my fish whole when possible, I think there is so much more flavor imparted in the cooking.
I love picking out all the parts that normally get wasted by most people, head/cheeks, throats and bellies.
Not to mention fins, crunchy fins on some fish are more addictive than potato chips.

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 07, 2016, 03:30:08 AM
They would be delicious as well steamed whole with Soy and vegetables...and rice of course.

Joe 
Sounds good to me too.
Ragnar Benson: