shimano BTR 8000D binding

Started by phishxxii, March 06, 2016, 12:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishxxii

I got a Shimano BTR8000D to repair. It had a grinding noise when operated Upon inspection I noticed a bad drive gear and crosswind gear. I replaced them and lubed up the reel The pinion gear looks ok.Ater assembling the reel it still makes a grinding noise when turned . On you tutorial I saw that the arrows on the drive gear have to be put in the position that they were in before disassembly.Guess who orgot to take notice of the arrow position?I noticed arrows on the crosswind gear also.Do I have to set the arrows in the drive gear like they are set in the crosswind gear to get the reel to turn smoothly?

handi2

You should also change the pinion gear. That's the problem.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: handi2 on March 06, 2016, 01:30:17 AM
You should also change the pinion gear. That's the problem.

And yes the arrows on the drive gear and crosswind gear have to match perfectly. If you turn the reel with them out of synch you will ruin them.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

Those reels are a reel pain. I fished them for a season or two and the gears were trashed..... Happened on all four of them, bought brand new. I did fish them hard but still.

Personally, I always swap all the gears in sets.

The drive gear and the crosswind gear do need to be aligned. Otherwise the gears bind.

Grinding can be from missing shims too. Sometimes one missing shim will throw off the whole reel.

I agree, I would swap out the pinon gear. The gears for those are super cheap.