Andros 12 11 Can It Be Sleeved

Started by Rivverrat, March 07, 2016, 06:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

My Andros 12 seems like it could benefit from a sleeve. Free spool is slowed dramatically when tilting the reel while spinning. I found out by messing with the mechanical cast control, turning it roughly to a midway point in its range I can get almost 2 min. of free spool.

Problem is like most lever drags when the reel is tilted to favor the drive side, to the right, it quickly slows to a stop.

Question can this spool be sleeved ? Or shimmed ?
I'm asking because of the snap rings.

alantani

shim the right spool bearing "out" a little to decrease the amount of play.  i think what's happening here is the same as the shimano tld's. the c-clip acts like a bearing sleeve that is too long.  i like to save those old retaining rings and slip them underneath the right spool bearing to take out some of the play.  works great!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Thanks, Alan.
I think I will try getting some shim washers. While also picking up some more retaining rings to attempt to come up with a combination that works. 

Tiddlerbasher

I put a sleeve in my Andros. No free spool increase (it was always very good). Fitting the bellevilles, spring clip and pin was a bit of a pain. With the sleeve it's far easier :) Back the preset all the way off. Tilt the reel to the right while pushing the preset knob in - the spool and sleeve should slide to the right. That then leaves you with much more space to fit all the bits ;) Very handy when servicing.

Rivverrat

Tiddlerbasher, thanks for your reply. I have always hated the spring washer set up in my Andros 5N. It has been my belief this brought about the constant replacement of these washers because of the constant tension they are under. Mind you I fished this reel some 6 - 8 hrs. a day repeatedly casting live & chunks of bait to spots in the river.

Your reply may have saved this reel, staying in my collection of using reels.....Jeff 

handi2

Quote from: alantani on March 07, 2016, 07:12:04 PM
shim the right spool bearing "out" a little to decrease the amount of play.  i think what's happening here is the same as the shimano tld's. the c-clip acts like a bearing sleeve that is too long.  i like to save those old retaining rings and slip them underneath the right spool bearing to take out some of the play.  works great!

Alan are you using the bearing retaining rings?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Quote from: handi2 on March 09, 2016, 12:29:03 AM
Quote from: alantani on March 07, 2016, 07:12:04 PM

Alan are you using the bearing retaining rings?

Keith
That's how I understood him.

Normslanding

Please help! I am not understanding Alan's comment. Does he mean a shim between the spool bearing and the spool bearing cup? I have played shimming between the spool and bearing in order to seduce noise. Are you talking about a couple of thousandths or something like the thickness of the "C/E" clip?

Rivverrat

Quote from: Normslanding on March 13, 2016, 09:02:32 PM
Please help! I am not understanding Alan's comment. Does he mean a shim between the spool bearing and the spool bearing cup?   Are you talking about a couple of thousandths or something like the thickness of the "C/E" clip?

Yes, to your first question. As far as the dimensions of the thickness here, start out thin & gradually go thicker. If you have an Andros with mechanical cast control turn it all the way off prior to starting any of this.....Or you can increase it using it to make slight adjustments as you add spacers. I placed a thin washer beneath my right side spool bearing & adjusted the cast control to find a happy medium. Testing it by spinning the spool while tilting the spool left & right.  If still not clear feel free to ask..Jeff

Rivverrat

Tiddlerbasher,  so that I'm understanding correctly. You did get rid of the retaining ring on the spool shaft that sits below the left side spool bearing ?  With the sleeve taking it's place ? .....Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

Normslanding

Rivverrat

OK, this leads to my next question. Whats stopping the use of thrust bearings ?  I believe the Andros frame is stronger & of a better quality than the Fathom.

Tiddlerbasher

Thrust bearings - did try it but not enough room. All the bearings were too thick :(

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 15, 2016, 08:44:38 PM
OK, this leads to my next question. Whats stopping the use of thrust bearings ?  I believe the Andros frame is stronger & of a better quality than the Fathom.

so, no thrust bearing on the Andros reels?

any tendency to toast the pinion bearing?

The Baja Guy