Cleaning roller guides

Started by Sharkin904, March 08, 2016, 06:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

How do you all suggest to clean/lubricate them? Some are just simple maintenance, some are old rods that have been sitting for awhile. Thanks in advance.

thorhammer

I remove rollers, soak in simple green overnight and brush then rinse. 000 steel wool on guides and a wipe with Never Dull or at least Penn reel cleaner for shine, or  wipe with Ballistol, Rem Oil etc after steel wool for protection.  Lube roller bushings with your favorite oil (I just use 3-in-1, but mine don't get that much use and I clean in place and re-lube after every trip anyway. I use Corrosion Block also, its a bit heavier than Corrosion X and more readily available where I live).  Reassemble. I used to just hose down after trip but now am fully wiping down rod with ballistol or penn cleaner. I know you fish the big motors, don't forget to grease the storabut ferrules and reel seat under the stand. I have picked up some really nice rods where this was neglected and the ferrules for all practical purposes welded together from electrolysis. work a piece of line through the guides when done to work lube around well in the rollers before storage.

foakes

Same basic process for me, as for John --

Only thing I do differently -- after the steel wool -- I reclean the rollers with Simple Green and the Ultrasonic Cleaner.

This gets any tiny bits of steel wool out that I can't see -- before they get a chance to rust.

Any light salt resistant oil is fine.

CorrosionX or 321 are good choices.  Just a drop, or so.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

You need to go the extra mile with the rollers.
I little maintenance goes a long way with them.
There is no comparison to a conventional guide rod when fighting a big fish.
You can feel every headshake, twist and turn.
It just takes the time to make sure they are in top condition before you bring them to a fight.
Life is Good!

Lowprofile

Take them apart and drop the roller and bushings or BB in Coleman camping fuel to degrease and strip any oil. Hit them with a soft bristle tooth brush and then dry them off. Grease the bushing or BB with pen blue grease and re assemble.

Rinse after every use and clean twice a year. You can even hit the rollers themselves with some T-9 for added protection but it's not necessary. You should coat your spool with it though.

thorhammer

Quote from: foakes on March 08, 2016, 07:35:13 PM
Same basic process for me, as for John --

Only thing I do differently -- after the steel wool -- I reclean the rollers with Simple Green and the Ultrasonic Cleaner.

This gets any tiny bits of steel wool out that I can't see -- before they get a chance to rust.

Any light salt resistant oil is fine.

CorrosionX or 321 are good choices.  Just a drop, or so.

Best,

Fred

yep, forgot to mention the rinse. I never leave cleaner on anything.

Sharkin904

Thanks guys. Moved much much closer to the beach so I think this year I'll be doing a lot more land based shark fishing. Wanted to make sure my gear is ready, and stays that way.