9/0, The last Tom frame

Started by Shark Hunter, March 08, 2016, 10:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

This is the last Tom frame I have and the last 9/0 that needs upgrading.
A transition reel that needs attention.
SS Sleeve, new set of steel gears with an insert, single ss dog and ss spring with a Shark Handle and 5/0 grip.
Special Thanks to Alan T., Bryan, Dom, Fred and Adam. ;)
Life is Good!

cbar45

Love the tail-plate graphics on those reels, are the trim rings chrome or stainless?

Army_of_One

Nice work!  I really like the frame/spool color inverse.  Why only one dog if you're going all out the rest of the way though?
Another day in Paradise!

handi2

I know where one more black frame is..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

twotone

I like the US Senator colors! Nice find on the reel!
twotone

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 09, 2016, 10:12:56 AM
Quote from: cbar45 on March 08, 2016, 10:30:07 PM
Love the tail-plate graphics on those reels, are the trim rings chrome or stainless?
I believe they are stainless Chad.

Quote from: Army_of_One on March 09, 2016, 12:06:52 AM
Nice work!  I really like the frame/spool color inverse.  Why only one dog if you're going all out the rest of the way though?
I'm out of stainless dogs and standard Black Pearl Gears.
I picked up a really nice off the shelf rod for it. 5'6" 50 to 80 lb Billfisher.
I have been looking for one of these for quite a while.
Bob (Cone) had one on his 9/0 when we fished together.
Nothing Fancy, just a meat stick. It feels a lot like the Penn Mariner stand ups. For $74 to my door, I thought it was a steal.
It has an aluminum gimbal and seat with a short butt. Perfect for cranking power from the beach in a plate and Harness.
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 09, 2016, 10:15:26 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 09, 2016, 10:12:56 AM
Quote from: cbar45 on March 08, 2016, 10:30:07 PM
I believe they are stainless Chad.

Quote from: Army_of_One on March 09, 2016, 12:06:52 AM
Nice work!  I really like the frame/spool color inverse.  Why only one dog if you're going all out the rest of the way though?
I'm out of stainless dogs and standard Black Pearl Gears.
I picked up a really nice off the shelf rod for it. 5'6" 50 to 80 lb Billfisher.
I have been looking for one of these for quite a while.
Bob (Cone) had one on his 9/0 when we fished together.
Nothing Fancy, just a meat stick. It feels a lot like the Penn Mariner stand ups. For $74 to my door, I thought it was a steal.
It has an aluminum gimbal and seat with a short butt. Perfect for cranking power from the beach in a plate and Harness.

I've got one of the Billfisher 50-100# rods that came with a 114HLW.  The bottom end is nice, but the guides corroded pretty bad.  The metal seat and gimbal looked fine though.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

The salt will eat them up if you don't take care of them.
I make sure and rinse mine daily and apply Pledge furniture polish.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

I have several in live bait and grouper weights; can't beat them for the money and the salt will eat anything given a chance...

Army_of_One

I don't fish enough to expose mine to nasty saltwater.  ;) When I do everything gets rinsed, every time.  I've started spraying/wiping the guides with Corrosion-x after rinsing too.  Is this "The Official Tom Frame Pic Thread?" I might have a contribution soon.
Another day in Paradise!

handi2

Daron,

When fishing from the beach would've longer rods be better? Longer rods are easier on the angler especially if the top section has some give.

Just wondering.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Keith,
This is just my opinion, and I don't want to open a can of worms here.
When you are trying to catch a fish that weighs several hundred pounds from the Beach.
I need every advantage I can get. I think a longer rod will give the fish the advantage.
My goal is to get him in, and get him back swimming as soon as possible.
Plus, there is the transporting issue with my Truck bed being 6'6".
I do have a 7 footer in my Arsenal now, but it is a detachable butt IGFA 80 Blank and it is a Beast!
The rod next to it is a Calstar Baja Boomer 80 to 130.

Life is Good!

jhatch

love that Calstar brother!!!

Army_of_One

I finally went and cut up a plate.  :o  I feel very fortunate to have so much help from this site.  There were some very good photos showing what needed to be done.  I appreciate all of the help from everyone.  You guys are awesome! Here's my first "Tank."
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Good work Robin!
I see you are not stingy with the Penn Blue. ;)
Life is Good!