Interested in starting 9/0 build

Started by Macarps, March 09, 2016, 01:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macarps

I filed the pin flat on one side it went through a lot better. How smooth should the sleeve spin on the bridge? Mine seems to take a little force but is much better than it was.

sdlehr

Needs to be pretty smooth without catching. Make sure there are no burrs inside the sleeve. If not you may have a bent bridge post. It doesn't take much.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Sand the bridge post with some very fine sandpaper or emery cloth. Sometimes that does the trick too.
Also make sure to grease or oil the bridge post. I grease mine with penn blue and then put a couple drops of reel x in the top.
You need to get it spinning freely. When a big fish is on, it will expand and it could lock up.
If the sanding doesn't work, you need to swap out the bridge or sand the bottom of the sleeve.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on April 19, 2016, 03:21:10 PM
Needs to be pretty smooth without catching. Make sure there are no burrs inside the sleeve. If not you may have a bent bridge post. It doesn't take much.
Sid, have you had a need to bend back the post on the bridge? that's a delicate operation. If mine was out of square, I would toss it and get another.

Macarps, try removing the sleeve and rub the bottom of it on a piece of fine sandpaper. Make sure the sandpaper is sitting on a flat surface. No need to go crazy 20-30 times will cure it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I've had a few sleeves that I had to work on to get the pin in. Sal's method will work. I've always filed the pin flat on one side like you did. Yours may need a little more filing to get it in without it binding the sleeve to the post. We need pic's so we can drool over the new build.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 19, 2016, 04:35:34 PM
Sid, have you had a need to bend back the post on the bridge? that's a delicate operation. If mine was out of square, I would toss it and get another.
Sal
Nope. I'm sure it's a game of fractions of millimeters, and I would just chuck it and get a new bridge, too. If you look at my post I never suggested he do anything with it if it is bent. I was just trying to offer a suggestion for why it wasn't functioning properly.... :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on April 20, 2016, 01:05:24 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 19, 2016, 04:35:34 PM
Sal
Nope. I'm sure it's a game of fractions of millimeters, and I would just chuck it and get a new bridge, too. If you look at my post I never suggested he do anything with it if it is bent. I was just trying to offer a suggestion for why it wasn't functioning properly.... :)

Sid
Yeah, same here... that's why I asked you and not accused you of doing so ;) :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Macarps

Alright, it's functioning great. Little bit of filing is all it took. She is greased and back together looking fantastic. Only problem is now I can't go into freespool. I think I have a corroded eccentric back causing it to hang. Shoulda spent that extra couple bucks. Anyone make these in stainless steel?

RowdyW

You might have the yoke in upside down. The sharper edge down toward the plate & the rounded edge up. Or the eccentric is under the yoke.

Shark Hunter

If you put the yoke back in as it came out, you just need to smooth the tabs on the eccentric jack. This is a common problem.
Just don't force the lever or you will break the tab off the plate.
Again, just lightly sand the tabs on the jack with fine sandpaper and it will slide in and out easily.
Life is Good!