Interested in starting 9/0 build

Started by Macarps, March 09, 2016, 01:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macarps

Hello all. I have been doing some reading on the forums for few days now after Ryan received his newly hot rodded senator from Daren. I must say, I'm impressed. Next day I did some garage sale shopping and came across a senator 115L 9/0 myself. I really want to do this. From what I have read, all parts are still readily accessible except the frame. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on a frame.

My little $75 gem (hopefully)

Shark Hunter

I can't see the pictures Macarps.
It will take a while to gather all the parts, but it can be done.
Life is Good!

Macarps

So this is definitely a learning experience for me. I am tearing it down right now. I have found some corrosion but appears to be mild. I am not quite sure of how I can get the star off the sleeve so I can remove the bridge and main gear from the reel. Any pointers?

RowdyW

You should have removed the star before removing the bridge screws & dumping the guts out of it. That way the dog would have held the gear sleeve from turning backwards. You could try reassembling it to lock the dog to the sleeve. You will only have to install the dog. You missed step #2. Step #1 remove handle, step #2 remove star wheel, etc.  ;D ;D  You could also put the handle back on to hold the sleeve from turning & back the star off as it pushes the handle off the sleeve.    Rudy

Macarps

Ya I actually held the dog against the sleeve and spun it right off. Now trying to get the sleeve off bridge. That's held on by a small pin?

Ron Jones

The pin is in the flat of the sleeve and should just push out with a small straight tool. I use a finish nail.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Small punch and hammer. That sleeve looks pretty corroded.
I doubt a finish nail would do.
We are here for ya buddy,
You need anything, drop me a PM.
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Not sure where you're located, but I can help if you're near by.
Another day in Paradise!

Macarps

Meh. Projects on hold until I get a frame. Are the CADs available for half frames?

Shark Hunter

Put a post up in the buy, sell, trade section. You might get lucky.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

If what Sal says is correct, that we flush out equipment based on our stated needs, and that stuff appears on Ebay shortly after a demand is noted on this site, if I were you I'd be paying close attention on Ebay over the next few days. One might just "coincidentally" show up. I'm trying to verify this phenomenon myself. With over 2.5 million independent hits/month on this site, there are some lurkers amongst us that are more interested in finding out what we are looking for than in the actual work we do on these reels. Keep your eyes peeled on Ebay for a few days. Something interesting might happen. If it does, please report back. This is interesting to me. Human behavior is fascinating. I'm trying to figure out a way to manipulate this to become independently wealthy. I'm having a hard time  ;D ;D ;D Let me know if you have any ideas. :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Macarps

The build will move on. I have purchased a black half frame. As the build will move on so will the dreaded cleaning of that nasty spool. What your guys preference in corrosion removal and polishing. I figured I would polish it up with some never dull.

Shark Hunter

Glad you found a frame.
The Nevr Dull will take a while, but it works.
I also use mothers mag wheel polish and just regular turtle wax chrome polish.
If the Chrome has corroded through the brass, there is only so much you can do.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

The best way to get rid of that corrosion is to replace that boat anchor with an aluminum spool. ;D  IMO You won't believe how much of a difference it will make. Clean up the chrome spool and du.. sell it on ebay to recoup some of the cost of an aluminum spool.     Rudy

anglingarchitect

I love my 9/0's I have one modified and one still stock except for the Tib Frame.