CorrosionX grease, aluminum spools, and wire line.

Started by STRIPER LOU, March 09, 2016, 10:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Most people that fish wire line like the chrome over brass spools as they are the most tolerant to corrosion. I've been using wire line and aluminum spools for years without problems. I like to keep the reels as light as possible and some are Penn/Newell, narrowed conversions. I usually keep a can of WD-40 on the boat and every once and a while I'll give the spool a spay at the end of the day before I reel in. When I service my reels after the season I'll give the spools a light coating of Marine grease.

Last season, I purchased some CorrosionX grease and applied it to the spools. Some of the spools had very light corrosion.
After using the reels for the season I was amazed how great they looked and even the light corrosion was pretty much gone.

This grease is great stuff! In my book at $10.00 a tube, its a bargain the way it performs. Its the same color as the spray and has a sticky consistency. I was thinking of trying it on my ProGears, thinned down with some CorrosionX spray.
Its worth a shot for anything that's subject to heavy corrosion. Excellent product!
Regards,  ..  Lou

foakes

Thanks, Lou --

Great tip and testimonial!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Hi Lou,

Where did you find that grease?  Please do share as mine came from Germany.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

I ordered mine direct from Corrosion X. I think they are in Texas.    Rudy

STRIPER LOU

Hi all, I also got mine  direct from CorrisionX in Texas . Shipping was a bit stiff but great product non the less. I don't even think I sprayed my spools during the season as I usually do and these reels were well used.
The amazing part is they  seem to look better than when I put them in service and they still had a bit of a waxy appearance to them!
.......................Lou

handi2

I just noticed it went up from $11.50 to over $12.00 a 14oz tube. Still great grease.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL