Interesting little reel -- Hybrid Comventional Baitcaster & Spinning Reel!

Started by foakes, March 09, 2016, 10:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Here is an interesting little reel from the early 50s.

A very unique design --

Considered very rare by experts.

It is called a Merit -- manufactured by Stalder, Inc.

When casting, you depress the chrome thumb spoon -- and the spinning spool goes into a horizontal position -- so line comes off easily.

When retrieving, the spool is in the upright position -- and the spool slightly oscillates up and down for a better line lay.

In the early 50s, there were possibly hundreds of small or sometimes large manufacturers trying to get on the new "Spinning Reel" bandwagon.  A spinner was easier for the average angler to cast, they could gain more distance, very few birdnests, and could cover about 5 times the water area in a given amount of time -- thus a better chance of getting a strike.

Due to competition, good engineers -- but not knowing how to run a business, clunky manufacturing systems that were not cost effective, and timing...Only a handful of these companies were successful -- and most of these interesting old products became obsolete.  

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

After the multiple days at Fred Hall , do you ever rest?!
Very interesting little reel, Did you find that at the show?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Hi Jonathan --

Guy came in to the show to ask us what it was worth.

Randy advertises for his business -- BUY, SELL, TRADE.

So a lot of stuff comes into the show for Randy to look at -- and he knows a tremendous amount about almost anything saltwater, plus a little about freshwater.  I know a lot about freshwater, and less about saltwater.

I told him I would research it and get back to him in a week, or so.

Owner said that someone told him it was worth $50K.

I may be way off, but generally these little oddball reels could reach $300 -$400, to the right buyer.

IMO.

I will do a little more research -- but although a rare little period example -- not likely to pay off the mortgage, or put the kiddos through college.

But a nice little reel -- nevertheless.

If anyone knows anything about these reels, or has more information -- please chime in!

I found a little, but not much...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marcq

I've seen some weird looking reels but this one tops it  8)

Marc..

Shark Hunter

50K? Ahahahahaa!
How about 50 cent. :D
I've never seen anything like that, but it doesn't make it worth 50 G's.
Life is Good!

foakes

For the value of nearly any reel, most of us on here are somewhat more knowledgeable than the average person --

With very few exceptions, we can determine the real value of a reel by brutally, and honestly answering this one question to ourselves:

If I really wanted this reel, how much would I write a check for right now?

I think that is accurate 95% of the time.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Tightlines667

Cool, unique reel.  Value is what someone is willing to pay for it.  Maybe some of the experts over on ORCA could give you a better idea?

Mr. Phil White in his article, The Reel News 12th Reel Award, in September 2002 issue of The Reel News , gives a good critique of this reel.

Mr. White states in part –"this reel looks like something made by a blind man who worked in a reel repair shop" and "The Merit reel was a product of the 1950s, and didn't last very long. This is a fairly tough reel to find."

And here is a link to Mr. White'states site where (mysteriously) the photo of the boxed example he had up several years back (4 years maybe) has dissappeared...

http://www.oldreels.com/pivoting_reels.htm

There are some fine examples of similar pivoting type reels though.

*taken from the ORCA site.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

It doesn't make that much difference, John --

It's probably $100 -- $200, to the right buyer.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I meant no disrespect on my comment, but I myself would not give 10 bucks for that reel.
I buy reels to fish for the Leviathan's of the Sea. ;)
I don't think this one is up to the task.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Well, it has to do on how you look at things. I personally love it and probably would pay $100 in that condition. I bet it looked amazing when it was new.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing Fred.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

This is likely Phil's.

Boxed and in this condition would likely double or triple the value.

Phil is possibly (is) the foremost expert on spinning reels and their history -- in the world.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

cbar45

Ingenious little reel!

I would like to have seen how the guides were laid out on the rod it was paired with.

Seems that line guide set just above the spool would act as a very early version of the rapid-choke concept.

Chad

jason_purdy

What a neat little reel-interesting concept. Thanks for sharing.
-Jason

anglingarchitect

nelz

... still trying to figure out how the heck it works...     ??? ??? ???