For those of us who cut our own drag washers

Started by MidTNKayakAngler, March 26, 2016, 01:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidTNKayakAngler

I started cutting my own drag washers in early 2014. The first sheets I bought were from Ebay off of cfdrag they were the 8"x8" sheets. These were great sheets true to the thickness described, and reasonable price.

I just made another purchase off eBay from thedragman. These are 3.75"x4" or listed as 95mmx190mm.

The prices were comparable, not sure about the quality yet.

Where is everyone else purchasing their carbon fiber drag sheets from?

I would like to find a place I could purchase 12"x12" sheets from and many different thicknesses.

Can you use an adhesive and adhere two sheets to achieve a desired thickness?

Jeremy

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

McMaster Carr sell Carbon Fiber sheets Joe?
Life is Good!

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I buy from cf drag.
For my applications. That all I need. High Quality Laminated.
Dawn from Smoothdrag sells a fine product too.
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Keta: The nice part is There 15 minutes from my house.

Joe

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 26, 2016, 04:03:46 PM
I buy from cf drag.

Erik, CF Drag, has always treated me well and his CF is high quality.  He can sell larger sheets.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Three se7ens

The carbon fiber sheet they sell appears to be cloth for layups.  If so, its certainly not suitable for drag washers.  If anyone has actually used it and can say for sure one way or the other though, Id be interested in hearing it.

I buy my sheets from Erik at cfdrag.  $54 for an 8 x 12 sheet. 

Alto Mare

Yes I'm also interested to hear about the product from McMaster Carr. Those guys are great to deal with, but judging from the sizes available, I'm thinking they're not suited for our fishing reels :-\

Mine come from Erik at cfdrag on eBay, I've been using those with lots of stress tests for the past 3 years and have nothing negative to report.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

I have to confess I don't know if the cf is the same as used in carbon fiber drag washers. :-\ I didn't know there was a difference. :-[ But the good part is,I can buy it from Dawn at smooth drag or cfdrag.  ;D

Joe

Wolli

i buy from Smoothdrag.

pay for a 15"*20" sheet (0.5  0.8 and 1,0 mm)  125,00 $ p.sheet plus 40 $ courier to Germany plus 3.7 pct customs duties plus 19pct Vat. Really not cheap.... but ists worth. The responses from several European Big Game Anglers speaks for itself.

Dawn, have an invitation from a fishing lodge to come in May to Maldives to pimp all ther spinners and Big Game Reels. New order follows next week.

Rgds and Happy Easter

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

MidTNKayakAngler

I received the drag sheets I ordered from thedragman from Ebay. These sheets are not laminated and are somewhat flimsy compared to what I've purchased before. They look like they will be easier to cut compared to cfdrag. I cannot give an honest opinion on performance as of yet. They do come in a good variety of thicknesses.