Acurrate BX 500

Started by Rivverrat, March 12, 2016, 08:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

First of all I know beyond a doubt the Makaira 10 or 15 would do what I'm wanting. However I"ve been wanting a high end, left handed reel for 60 lb. line, for repeated tossing of live & cut bait.  This is for fresh water use & line capacity is not a big issue
Question I have, will the BX 500 handle 60 lb. line with out side load issues ?  So is 20 lbs. of drag doable here ? I ask also because this is getting close to what Acurrate states as the max drag at strike...Jeff

alantani

how much drag do you need?  line capacity?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Line capacity BX 500 would be fine with a 100 -150 yards of 60 - 65 braid & rest 60 top shot. Wanting an honest 20 lbs of drag. Again this is for fresh water. Fish I'm after are not going to get a reel smoking hot.  
Alan, thing I'm trying to achieve is.....     

1) A "High End" left handed reel with at least 4:1.... preferably lower gearing

2) Able to easily keep in hand & cast all day. 26 oz. or lighter

3) fish 60 lb. line with out side load

It seems that with my criteria Acurrate & Avet may be the only or most obvious choices ? ....Jeff

alantani

not sure if avet makes a left handed jx raptor.  i worry about un-reinforced AR bearings in the accurate.  it's being "left handed" that limits your choices.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Yes Alan I believe they do.  This left handed business is not a must have thing. However I have always had the thought that conventional reels were set up wrong & have always wished to test my thoughts on this out.

I've had few issues with ARB's but I dont fish the salt. However the last 10 years my equipment is of a higher level & I'm asking a lot from it. So your mention of the lack of dogs on the Acurrate BX is something I must consider.....Jeff

day0ne

The Accurate Dauntless 500 has 2 dogs + ARB. Either the BX or the Dauntless will handle 60 lb, no side load. The 500 Dauntless also has a 3:1 low gear. I personally like the 500N. Accurate also has a new SS ARB that is supposed to be tougher than the old ones.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Rivverrat

Quote from: day0ne on March 15, 2016, 08:54:16 PM
The Accurate Dauntless 500 has 2 dogs + ARB. Either the BX or the Dauntless will handle 60 lb, no side load. The 500 Dauntless also has a 3:1 low gear. I personally like the 500N. Accurate also has a new SS ARB that is supposed to be tougher than the old ones.

Thanks for your reply. It seems there is still a lot of concern with BX not having dogs & rightfully so based on this being an on going issue in the past . However I don't fish the salt & like most here I maintain my gear.
You answered my main question regarding side load. Thanks, Jeff