PENN 50W

Started by Marlinmate, February 17, 2011, 02:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Here we go again. Got 3 of these reels from a guy who says they have never been serviced. Can't even begin to guess how old they are.
On the first reel alone, 2 of the stand screws (part #31-50) are corroded solid. Can't budge them. A post screw #38-50 sheared off and the center quadrant screw #32-14 sheared off. And I've got 2 more of these and 1 50TW to do. I've soaked every screw with some penetrating oil, and will try again tomorrow night. I am definitely going to have to drill and tap the screws out, so here it goes.

Anyone know the thread/pitch of the following:

31-50 - stand screws
38-50 - Post Screws
32-14 - Center Quadrant Screws

This guy is going to get his reels back better than new. Will get the 117DN-50 Drive Plate assembly with the duradrag and do away with the floating drag ring. Bearings feel shot, but will degrease and clean to double check.

Thank for any and all help.

Alan...you don't happen to have a chart made up of the various Penn Screws and the thread/pitch you can post as a sticky? 
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Roger

Alan ought to know, he helped me out about a year ago on a couple of 80TW's that were probably as bad a shape as yours are in.........
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

the center quadrant screw is a 5-40.  that one i know!  for the other two, the width of the threads is 161 thousanths and 32 threads per inch, so that makes it an 8-32.  i just measured them out.  for the others, try loctite freeze and release.  i used it once and it worked great.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlinmate

Do you use calipers to figure this out?  or do you have a special tool?

Dominick

Marlinmate:  I don't know what Alan uses, but my cheapo tap and die set has a tool for measuring the threads.  It's a set up like the old feeler gauge.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

here are the diamater of the threads.  i just measured the diameter with calipers.  then i counted the number of threads in a quarter inch and multiplied by 4.  

http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-machine-screws/=b2sb92
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlinmate

Your counting was exact. Thanks again.  A "sticky" post of thread/pitch would be helpful!

I used a #29 drill to drill out the 8-32. And it was a perfect fit