3 piece spool vs 1 piece spool

Started by jason_purdy, March 13, 2016, 11:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason_purdy

I'm curious.  Is there any advantage to a 1 piece or 3 piece spool?  Why the difference?  I've been reading here on the forum, see it mentioned, and then want to know the background.  Any light you gents can shed is much appreciated.  Thanks!

-Jason

thinkwahoo

Most mfg's chose to produce aluminum spools from aluminum billet (1 piece), anodize, heat up and press a very cold spool shaft into the spool.  This has worked well, but as a rule these spools are very heavy.
Carl Newell chose another approach by injection molding aluminum into cavities, have the spool halves deburred, then cut down to the desired length, and finally anodized.  The spool shaft would the be coated (glue/mastic back in the day) then slid into the right half of the spool, then the left side was slide on, and finally the clicker hub was screwed onto the spool shaft.  These spools were much lighter than the one piece counterparts, and gained the reputation of being easier to cast, especially light baits or lures.

alantani

yeah, the three piced spools blow out (expand) all the time....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 14, 2016, 01:02:43 AM
yeah, the three piced spools blow out (expand) all the time....   :-\

Not so often when filled with Dacron or Spectra.  Mono killed a lot of early spools.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jason_purdy

Exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find.  Thanks!

-Jason