Senator 14/0 Cradle Reel

Started by cbar45, March 14, 2016, 12:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

Thought this was an interesting-looking beast.

Does anyone recognize the make of the frame, homemade perhaps?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Game-Vintage-Penn-14-0-Cradle-Reel-/152003379568?hash=item23641b8170:g:TwQAAOSwh-1W2Pn-

foakes

Hi Chad --

With that many bids from separate bidders -- likely a Neptuna?

Hard to find in any size reel -- particularly a 14/0.

But the guy who knows -- is Michael.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Superhook

Nothing like what Neptuna cast.  Fairly primitive in my opinion. 12/0 was the largest Neptuna made.  Have never seen this design before so not likely mass produced.

Tiddlerbasher

cbar45

Quote from: Ti :oddlerbasher on March 14, 2016, 08:25:28 AM
Wow it sold for US$13250 :o

Ok, now I REALLY want to know the story behind this reel!  

Hopefully Michael can shed some light as to why this particular example sold for quadruple the average price of a regular 14/0.. :o

Chad

Shark Hunter

It was $1,325.
I don't see how it can shift with the eccentric being backwards.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 14, 2016, 11:39:14 AM
It was $1,325.
I don't see how it can shift with the eccentric being backwards.

It would work just the same.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

For one time, then the spring would come out of position.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

The plate has its own notch for the spring to ride on, the post on the lever doesn't have much to do with it.
I rather have it facing on the inner side, I was just answering your question when you said you didn't see how it can shift, being backwards...it would shift just fine and I know of some that rather have that way.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

I have been watching this all week. I do not know what type of cradle this is. I know it is not a Neptuna. It is a strange over built contraption that I honestly did not like. The receptacles for the rod and butt are chucks and one seem to be missing. It has a crude Assist aka Fighting Handle. I cannot imagine many of these exist, so I would say it is rare. I guess it impressed a few buyers because they went a bit nuts bidding. When I think about what I could buy for $1325.00, this is not what comes to mind. I was not impressed; but, that does not mean it is not a great piece. What that means is I did not like it and I know nothing about it.

cbar45

Thanks for chiming in Mike.

I thought the bidding was getting steep when I first posted--around $700.

It does not look like something I'd buy at that price, much less for what it sold.

But, if it makes someone else happy then more power to them.

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 15, 2016, 05:51:56 AM
When I think about what I could buy for $1325.00, this is not what comes to mind.

This is a good mind-set to have while on the big auction site..;)

Chad

Tightlines667

Quote from: cbar45 on March 15, 2016, 06:51:05 AM
But, if it makes someone else happy then more power to them.

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 15, 2016, 05:51:56 AM

This is a good mind-set to have while on the big auction site..;)

Chad

Agreed.  This goes for sellers too, and you certainly can't win them all.

;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

There were only 2 bidders from $800 and up and only 4 bidders that thought it was worth $500, so I wouldn't say it was a crazy auction, just a battle between 2 people that wanted it really bad.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 15, 2016, 05:28:09 PM
   There were only 2 bidders from $800 and up and only 4 bidders that thought it was worth $500, so I wouldn't say it was a crazy auction, just a battle between 2 people that wanted it really bad.

Ted

Ted is right, again --

That is why I personally only consider ebay a basic measure of value -- not a Bible or Blue Book.

Mixed up in all of the bidding is emotion, needing a certain piece, wanna-be experts with a credit card, gift givers, newbies, amateurs, and real experts.

Most serious pieces are sold between collectors, traded, or offered at some of the big auction houses like Lang's.

The real value, at least to me -- is, how much would I really pay for the item I am selling, if I were buying it -- in my brutally honest heart-of-hearts? -- no one except me needs to know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.