Penn 230 GTO Levelwind

Started by spes, February 17, 2011, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spes

Hello,
A friend asked me to look at his Penn 230 GTO Levelwind.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn230GTO.aspx

When you crank the handle very slowly the spool will turn.
Crank fast or even thumb the spool and the spool stops turning and kind of a crunching sound.
Any hints what to look at when I open it up?

Thanks,

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Dominick

Spes:  Alan is the expert, but I am going to take a guess. I think the teeth on the top of the pinion gear chipped off.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

either that, or the pinion gear is not fully engaging the spool........  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

how much play does the spool have when you move it side to side?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spes

There's hardly any side to side movement in the spool.
I didn't mention also, 0 drag. It clunk clunk clunks when I pull on the line.

I'm probably going to wait till Sunday to open it up.
If it is the pinion gear, $11.45 from Scotts

Alto Mare

Good idea to open it up, it could be something else.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spes

Ok, I couldn't resist.
I opened it up. I followed the tutorial on the penn 209. So I at least didn't dump the bridge screws  ;D  I noticed the dog and dog spring are a little different. Can't quite get that back together right.

Nothing jumps out at me as being chewed.

Norcal Pescador

Put the bridge back together with or without the dog and spring. Then flip the freespool lever back and forth while you watch the pinion gear go up and down. You should see the pinion gear move up and down about 1/8th inch. If it's not, that could be the main problem.

Use the 320GTI tutorial   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9.0

About the 28th slide down you'll see your dog and spring. Put the bridge back together then attach the spring.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

spes

Thanks,I'll check that after work today.
One thing I will have to check, I don't recall a drag washer between the main gear and the gear sleeve,,I could be wrong.

Oh, in that other tutorial it looks like the grease isn't wiped off the drag washers after slopping it on. That observation correct?

Thanks,

Norcal Pescador

Good observation. That's one of Alan's early ones and he now recommends minimal greasing.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Spec - There is usually a phenolic washer between the gear sleeve and the main gear.  To insure that the drag system maintains it's smoothness, this washer is usually replaced with a grease carbon fiber drag washer.  With regards to the drag grease, for star drag reels, the grease isn't wiped off.  When the drag is compressed, it will squeeze out, and does not affect the operation of the drag system or free spool.  So the extra step of wiping off the excess grease is not performed.  For lever drag reels, excess grease will affect the free spool, and therefore, the excess drag grease is wiped off.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spes

Thanks for the coaching.
I'm going to go tinker with the reel now.
I will check that the pinion gear moves when the freespool lever is engaged.
I'm will take some pictures if I can't figure what the problem is.

BTW, how do you post a picture? If I upload my image to a site, how do I get the nice sized pics you all are posting?
More in a bit,
Thanks,

spes

Well, I was able too get it all back together. It's still skipping.
The pinion gear looks like it moves correctly when the  eccentric lever is moved.
Here's a  few pictures of the gears.

Knowing 0 ZERO, it feels like the pinion gears is moving around?
That just made me think, I didn't look inside the grooved spot on the pinion gear. Could that be what's stripped?

akfish

My guess is the the inside of the pinion is worn. Note that it is beveled so that it slips ver th spool easily. Too often these bevels wear and the gear will slip. I think this happens from shifting into and out of gear with the reel is under heavy drag. Fishing lighter line is always better with these reels. They really weren't designed for 80# spectra -- the line I see on them most often up here.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

spes

Well I can't see anything that doesn't look right.

Concensus, order up a pinion gear?

Thanks,