Penn 230 GTO Levelwind

Started by spes, February 17, 2011, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Spes:  Please photograph both sides of the pinion gear.  Also slip the pinion over the spool shaft to see if it is worn and photograph the other side of the spool.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

spes

The spool shaft has a couple of nicks on opposite corners,but when i place the pinion gear on it it doesn't seem to slip.

Dominick

Spes: Thanks for promptly putting the photos up.  The pinion gear looks okay.  What is suspect is, take a look at the cog on the spool shaft.  It looks like a corner is broken off.  I would test it by tightening the drag all the way and then crank it.  If it works ok at full drag, then try it with the drag backed off.  If the grinding returns then I would opine that the cog is pushing the pinion down with the round part of the cog on the spool shaft.  I'm just throwing out theories here.  Spes needs help.  Come on guys.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

spes

yeah it has this noob stumped.
It's sounds like the same symptoms in this post
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1547.0
The oppsite corners on the spool shaft do look "chipped", but the pinion gear seems tight when tried manually

How snug should the pinion gear feel when u put it in the yoke?
It seems very loose on the yoke. Putting the guts back together the pinion gear wants to fall out easily.

spes

alantani

it sounds like the pinion gear is not dropping down onto the spool shaft, either because the spool shaft has a burr on it or because the spool is shifted over to far to the left. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spes

Thank You Alan,
If the spool shaft had a nick in it should I try to just clean up the edge with a file?

What would cause the spool shaft to be shifted over to far to the left, if that's the case?

One thing for sure getting alot easier to put it together and take it apart  ;D

alantani

take off any burrs with a file.  check to see that the pinion gear seats properly onto the shoulders of the spool shaft first.  looking at the photos, i'm betting it will and that this is not your problem. 

alantani

Quote from: spes on February 18, 2011, 01:21:49 AM
There's hardly any side to side movement in the spool.
I didn't mention also, 0 drag. It clunk clunk clunks when I pull on the line.

does the handle go backwards when you pull the line out?  if it does, then chances are the dog is bad.  if not, then it's the connection between the pinion gear and the shoulders of the spool shaft.  alan

spes

I put it back together AGAIN ::)
To me the pinion gear seems to seat correctly.
But that is what feels like is popping off.
The dog is working.

One thing I did notice is the less drag the less it does it.
Increase the drag to a usable setting and it's popping every turn of the handle.

Bottom line, if it's the ding in the spool shaft would you say it's not worth replaceing? The spool is like $40,,   
$12 for a pinion gear would be worth it if that was it.
(Do you have to replace the main gear if replacing the pinion gear? )

It is at the point where I don't care if the reel makes it as much as wanting to know WHY it's doing it!

alantani

there are springs under the yoke, of course.  maybe stretch them out by 50% so they put more upward force on the yoke. 

spes

I did stretch them out a little,, not 50% tho

alantani

then we are back to the placement of the spool.  it must be displaced too far to the left. 

spes

Ok,
But you lost me now on what to do about that..
I only tighten the tension control knob a little just so it's not shaking around.

Norcal Pescador

The goal is zero drag and zero side play when you're done.  Setting the side-to-side on a reel is easiest for me when the spool is empty. I just keep tightening the left bearing cap until I can't feel any more movement while checking end play often. I move the spool back and forth with my index finger on each side of the spool. Then I hold the reel up to my ear to listen for the contact when the spool is moved back and forth. I usually back off a bit then re-tighten as necessary to make sure I've got it right.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD