A Dog Spring That Pulls ??

Started by Maxed Out, March 14, 2016, 11:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Factory dog and spring on a 9/0 senator. I've seen same thing on a 12/0 also. Both are late 30's models.

Notice the spring pulls on the dog, instead of pushing. Looks goofy but actually works very nice, and because the dog and spring are all one piece, it makes installation a snap.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

What does it hook on to to pull. The photo looks like it's just laying there. Or is it soldered to the dog?

Tightlines667

Interesting.  

So to replace the spring, you must also replace te dog?  Maybe I should open up my first Gen senators at some point.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Yes, dog and spring are all one and no matter how I tried, they do not separate....and yes John, pretty sure it was your gen1 12/0 that has same dog & spring

Ted

Reel 224

Like the Horse and buggy, The Horse pushes the load. He doesn't pull it.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

I have seen a few of those over the years.

Nice thing about them is -- if you ever need to freshen a weak spring -- just cut, then grind or sand flush the old one on all 3 sides -- then just install a modern separate one that is a normal "pusher" -- works slick.

Thanks for sharing, Ted.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Quote from: foakes on March 15, 2016, 02:08:23 AM
I have seen a few of those over the years.

Nice thing about them is -- if you ever need to freshen a weak spring -- just cut, then grind or sand flush the old one on all 3 sides -- then just install a modern separate one that is a normal "pusher" -- works slick.

Thanks for sharing, Ted.

Best,

Fred

Good idea Fred !!

I was thinking a guy could just add the top "pusher" spring and have double spring tension  ;) ;)

Shark Hunter

That would make double dogging a bit easier.

Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 15, 2016, 12:28:29 AM
Yes, dog and spring are all one and no matter how I tried, they do not separate....and yes John, pretty sure it was your gen1 12/0 that has same dog & spring

Ted

Looks to me like the dog has a slit in it and the spring is inserted into that slit, but I would think it is held in only by friction and that they could be separated...
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Quote from: sdlehr on March 15, 2016, 07:54:22 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on March 15, 2016, 12:28:29 AM

Ted

Looks to me like the dog has a slit in it and the spring is inserted into that slit, but I would think it is held in only by friction and that they could be separated...

Sid, that "slit" is empty. This spring looks like it is cut right off of the dog and is all one piece. Click the last pic and see it enlarged

cbar45

A unitized dog and spring is a great idea, no more going boiinggg!

PacRat

I did some work on an old Colt revolver that had a spring similar to this. I'll see if I can dig up a photo. The spring was inserted into the slit, then the slit was peened closed. I replaced the part because the spring was fatigued and it was affecting timing. The new part came with the spring peened in place.
Mike

eguinn

The dog & spring are 1 piece, it was machined using a process called Wire EDM Machining. If you look at the slit in the dog & follow it up t the end you can see a small hole drilled in the dog, what they will do is with a CNC Machine will position the center of what would normally be a cutting tool right over the hole & drop a wire down thru the hole, this wire is charged with electric current & moves around whatever configuration the programmer has dialed into the part.

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 15, 2016, 08:11:22 PM
Sid, that "slit" is empty. This spring looks like it is cut right off of the dog and is all one piece. Click the last pic and see it enlarged
Ted, that's most probably true, but I can't tell from enlarging the picture; the resolution isn't high enough for my eyes.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector