first two speed reel

Started by q3fishboy, March 15, 2016, 08:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

Thanks for all of the help from everyone.

Pretty much settled on the Penn Fathom reels.

Still considering which size I want to go with though.

Also pretty much settled on the MH (20-50 pound) Penn Bluewater Carnage rods.

Will see what lengths I can find it in, but it seems like they only have the 7'10" left.

Thanks again for all of the help.

doradoben

I bought 2 of the 7'10" MH rods last season. They seemed better suited to fish 30 lb. The guides are lighter than on the H rod.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: q3fishboy on March 21, 2016, 05:33:20 PM
Thanks for all of the help from everyone.

Pretty much settled on the Penn Fathom reels.

Still considering which size I want to go with though.

Also pretty much settled on the MH (20-50 pound) Penn Bluewater Carnage rods.

Will see what lengths I can find it in, but it seems like they only have the 7'10" left.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Not trying to put down your rod selection but I have to ask why do you think you can't find those rods anymore? You can't even find them on Penn's website, whats up with that? Maybe I missed them there or their not being built any more. If Penn is not building them anymore do you think they were great sellers or met the customers needs?

I'm not trying to be harsh, though it may sound that way, I just don't want to see a young man spend his money on something maybe not the best suited for him.

IMO reels will come and go but once you have a great fishing rod it can last maybe a life time. I have one 40 lb 7' rod over 30 years old and to this day I still use it. Different reels have been on this stick but the rod is still in my hands when I need a great 40 lb stick. I also fish rods over 20 years old regularly but I also fish newer rods too.

What I'm trying to say is just don't buy something because the price is right. Take your time, go to tackle shops and pull on some rods and when you find something that feels right to you and the quality is there then think about making a purchase. Even if brand new is out of your budget look at the same model of rod used.

When buying used a rule of thumb for me is to pay about 1/2 the new price of the same rod and that is if the used rod is in almost new condition. If a rod your looking at is a little beat up, I don't buy those, but if you do don't pay much over 1/3rd of the rods cost new.

Here in So Cal there is a ton of very good used equipment out there but just be aware that many people are asking too much for what they have. But, don't be afraid to make a lower offer and then settle somewhere in the middle where you and the seller can feel comfortable.

q3fishboy

Doradoben -
Do you own both the MH and H?  You said you considered the MH more of a 30 pound rod.  What would you rate the H rod for?

SoCalAngler -
I appreciate all of the advice and do not at all mind you questioning my idea.  I began looking into the penn blue water carnage rods based on suggestions from this board, and played around with a lighter version at the fred hall show.  I believe penn is discontinuing the rods to push their new second generation carnage rods, and I am hoping to take advantage of their discounted older generation.  I generally do look for used gear, and am hoping to find the reel used, but have a coupon from penn that I am hoping to use.

Thanks a bunch for all of the help everyone.

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 17, 2016, 03:42:02 AM
When checking out reels look at a Fathom 40NLD two speed. IMO it makes a fine 40 and 50 lb reel. Back the reel with 300 yards of 60 or 65 LB spectra and you will get your 100 yard mono topper on that reel. I personally like the taller more narrow feel of the 40N over the wider shorter 30LD2 and the 40NLD2 has a little lower gearing than the 30 which helps when the bigger models show or your on longer trips.

Im also liking more the penn Fathom 40LD2 than the FT30LD2, I have a crush with narrow reels I think, I have mine with 400yds of 80# braid and short 10yds 60# mono topshot for trolling, Im not pretend to cast much with mine but if I need I will use a 3yds topshot with heavy irons

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

q3fishboy, Hey SoCal Is giving you some very good advice regarding rod choice. If you choose to take his advice you just might save your self a lot of money in the long run also save your self a hard learned lesson or headache... Jeff