first two speed reel

Started by q3fishboy, March 15, 2016, 08:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

A while back I asked for some advice on a budget 50 pound trolling rig.

Was leaning towards a senator 113H and got a lot of really helpful advice.

However, a lot of you suggested I save up for a two speed reel instead.

So, I am not looking to get my first two speed (and my first lever drag).

As you guys suggested, I am looking for a general purpose 40-50 pound reel.

Thinking it will be used mostly for yoyo and dropper loop as well as light trolling maybe?

Would like to have a long mono topshot (100 yards?) and hollow core spectra backing.

Currently leaning towards a penn fathom 30 ld2 (or other size) but also considering okuma.

The metaloid and andros reels looked interesting but am open to other companies as well.

Hoping to stay in the sub 300 dollar range and actually planning to look for a used reel.

Was also wondering if occasionally bumping up to 60 pound would be too much for the reel.

Am also looking for a matching rod and leaning towards the penn blue water carnage rods.

Leaning towards the 7'10" model which gives me the option for MH (20-50 pound) or H (30-80 pound).

Thanks in advance for all of the help.  I really appreciate it.

MarkT

A TLD20-II would be cheap and fit the need for a 40-50 troller.  I'd go with a 6' rod like a 6460H to troll with.  That's the combo is use.  My TLD has a Tiburon topless frame on it.  In the Fathom I'd probably go with the 40nld2 given that you want 100 yds of 50# over the spectra. You should be able to get one new for $225 or so.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Have you looked at Chad's reel?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17229.0

Looks like it will fit your needs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

q3fishboy

I did see Chad's reel and was interested.  However, I was leaning towards something smaller than that.

I was thinking this reel would be a general purpose (yoyo, dropper loop, fly line etc) reel that might get used for a little trolling.

I know 100yrds is a long topshot, but does this seem reasonable for what I want to do or would you guys recommend something else?

What size reel would you guys recommend for this purpose?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Bryan Young

The limitations will be that 100 yard top shot of 50# or 60# mono.  If you would settle on 25 yards, then you will have more options.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

I use a Fathom 25NLD2 or an Avet JX 6/3 for yoyo, bait, dropper loop with 40#.  For 50# I step up to an Avet JX Raptor. I use 4' of mono with the rest spectra. I do use the TLD20 II for trolling with 50#. I got a couple of 40# BFT out of Dana Point on it with a cedar plug last summer.

q3fishboy

What if I drop down to around 100 yards of 40 pound or maybe a little less than that for topshot?

I don't think I will do much trolling, so, this would mainly just be general purpose yoyo, baud, dropper, etc.

How long of a topshot would use guys recommend for these applications?

Bryan Young

Penn Fathom 30L2D would fit your need. I personally prefer the 25NLD2 for yo-yoing or speed jigging.

MarkT

A long top shot is often preferred for throwing iron so the knot doesn't pass through the guides and any backlash will be in the mono and not the spectra. For dropper loop a short top shot is good so you can feel the bite since spectra is non-stretch. I sometimes think I can feel a fish come by and look at my bait it's so sensitive! I like it short for fishing live bait since the bait won't have to pull the heavy mono. Personally, I use a short top shot/leader for all purposes.

q3fishboy

Thanks so much for all of the help.

If I still like the idea of the long top shot, it sounds like the penn fathom 30 ld2 is doable.

Would you guys recommend this over the okumas or any other companies I should consider?

Also, for this general purpose application with mostly 40 pound and occasionally 50 pound, what rod?

Would you recommend the MH (20-50 pound) or the H (30-80 pound)?

And do you think this setup could be pushed up to 60 pound if needed?

Thanks again.

MarkT

Depends on the rod and how stiff you like them.  Most 20-50 rods (like a glass 670) are 30# sticks.  A Calstar 700M is a 30-40# rod.  A 30-80 tends to be a 40-50# stick.

q3fishboy

Was currently planning on getting a penn blue water carnage, which is what I gave the MH and H line ratings for.

Any suggestion regarding that particular rod?  Thanks a bunch.

RowdyW

Quote from: q3fishboy on March 15, 2016, 08:51:07 PM
I did see Chad's reel and was interested.  However, I was leaning towards something smaller than that.

I was thinking this reel would be a general purpose (yoyo, dropper loop, fly line etc) reel that might get used for a little trolling.

I know 100yrds is a long topshot, but does this seem reasonable for what I want to do or would you guys recommend something else?

What size reel would you guys recommend for this purpose?

Thanks again for all of the help.
I bought a Shimano TLD 30 2 speed on the Boss's recomendation & I'm very happy with it. I use it mostly for trolling & have it loaded with 450 yds. of 80# braid & 125 yds. of 50# mono top shot. I got mine new off of ebay NIB for $238 shipped. It works great & doesn't need any upgrades either. Or for almost $150 more get a Fin-nor Marquesa MA 50T II. That's the smoothest reel I ever felt.          Rudy

MarkT

Quote from: q3fishboy on March 15, 2016, 11:07:18 PM
Was currently planning on getting a penn blue water carnage, which is what I gave the MH and H line ratings for.

Any suggestion regarding that particular rod?  Thanks a bunch.

I don't have any Penn rods.  I have tons of Phenix, Seeker and Calstar.  Penn rates them in terms of spectra so divide by 2 to figure out the mono rating.  Probably the 50-100 is what to look at.  I think they call that MH power.  Pull on them at the store to see which action suits you and go up to the H if the MH seems weak for how you want to use it.

SoCalAngler

When checking out reels look at a Fathom 40NLD two speed. IMO it makes a fine 40 and 50 lb reel. Back the reel with 300 yards of 60 or 65 LB spectra and you will get your 100 yard mono topper on that reel. I personally like the taller more narrow feel of the 40N over the wider shorter 30LD2 and the 40NLD2 has a little lower gearing than the 30 which helps when the bigger models show or your on longer trips.

Like I said in the last post if your not using the setup as a dedicated surface iron setup, I would look at rods in the 7 foot range for 40 mostly and 7-6.5 foot if you will mostly use the rod for 50 lb test. These length rods will fish bait, dropper loop and yoyo iron more comfortably than the longer rods. Also you can still fish the surface iron on the shorter rods you just won't get the longer casts that a 8 foot or longer rod dedicated surface iron stick offers. The first yellowtail I caught on the surface iron was on a 7 foot rod.