Penn 30TW - What the??

Started by Marlinmate, March 22, 2016, 03:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Just got two of these in the shop.  It seems that they are always different.  Why is that?

For instance..one of them has gold anodized drag plate....the other has a gray one.

Neither of them have part #173-30T - Spool Bushing
Neither of them have part #13B-30T - Spool Sleeve
One of them has the drag springs (()).....the other has them as ()()...part #18-30TW...I believe the later to be correct ()()??
One of them has a bent up metal washer (which I don't think should be there) located on the pinion gear..on the handle side...between the pinion gear and #18-30TW....almost like a shim that isn't working
Neither of them have part#156A - Gasket For Drag Cover

Both of them need bearings....bad.  On one..the RS bearing is frozen solid....on the other, one of the spool bearings is frozen solid.

Tightlines.....what say you?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

alantani

i see a hammer and chisel in your future.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlinmate

Ha....I was able to get them out or off of where they reside!   No chisel needed...or hammer.

Tightlines667

Interesting observations on the parts differences there.  I know there were some minor changes in the drag parts over the ~20 year history of this model.  And there were definate parts differences between the 30T & 30TW.  The only grey drag discs I have seen were upgraded duradrags, where the drag material has been glued to the disc.  The spool sleeve, and bushing are unique to the TW model, heavier bellevilles were used in the TW model, and I think they were actually arranged (()).  The 30T had lighter bellevilles arranged ()(), and no spool bushing or sleeve.  Not sure why your 2 reels are setup different?  But these changes may have taken place after leaving te factory.  

Regardless, the formula for bringing them up to good working standards should be the same.  You can order spool sleeves and bushing for the reels if you like, but if they are not going to be for 'live lining' or where freespool is important, I would skip them, and the gaskets.  I would focus on replacing any worn bearings, and consider ordering some shims, and new bellevilles.  Maybe pick up a few heavy (stock) and a few light(18-30), and a shim or two, along with bearings, and clicker pawns or ratchet plates (if needed).  

Let me know if there is anything specific I can help with, but I'm sure you can handle these 2.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Marlinmate

Thanks Tightlines.

Part #'s would be as follows?

18-30TW - bellevilles as listed on parts page as stock?
154-30 - Spool Shaft Shim

What would be part numbers for heavy vs. light bellevilles?

Tightlines667

Quote from: Marlinmate on March 22, 2016, 04:56:30 AM
Thanks Tightlines.

Part #'s would be as follows?

18-30TW - bellevilles as listed on parts page as stock?
154-30 - Spool Shaft Shim

What would be part numbers for heavy vs. light bellevilles?

18-30TW are heavy

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-30TW.aspx

18-30 are light

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-30.aspx

154-30 are your shims.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.