Working on some Italian for our Morro Bay trip in April at Alans

Started by Big Tim, March 20, 2016, 12:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Tim, you see what we've started? ::) ;D.
First of all, if you like parmesan, enjoy it pal... it's your world.
I have been watching my wife and her family put cheese on everything they eat, it used to bother me in the beginning, but now I tell them to go for it whatever makes them happy.
During my honeymoon, I was having dinner at a nice restaurant in Maui, I ordered spaghetti with clams, I don't do linguine, too slimy.
The waiter comes out with a beautiful dish, loaded with parmesan on top. I told him, what is this? he said, what you've ordered, I said no it's not, I ordered spaghetti with clams.
He insisted that it was what I ordered and that's the way everyone else eats it , even in Italy. I told him to take it back and show me the menu, I will order something else.
Apparently the Chef got insulted and came out of the kitchen, he told me that he did studied in Italy for 5 years and that's how they thought me.
I looked at him and said, you probably studied in northern Italy, he replied yes.
I'm from the south, we wouldn't dare put cheese on fish, he understood and all was good from there ;D.
We eat lots of cheese at my house, by the way, Restaurant Depot has a better price than Costco on parmigiano.
There are two things we don't put cheese on where I come from, pasta and beans and fish.
Also, I eat my spaghetti with just a fork.

Cheese or no cheese, enjoy your meal.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 20, 2016, 05:42:10 AM
Tim, you see what we've started? ::) ;D.
First of all, if you like parmesan, enjoy it pal... it's your world.
I have been watching my wife and her family put cheese on everything they eat, it used to bother me in the beginning, but now I tell them to go for it whatever makes them happy.
During my honeymoon, I was having dinner at a nice restaurant in Maui, I ordered spaghetti with clams, I don't do linguine, too slimy.
The waiter comes out with a beautiful dish, loaded with parmesan on top. I told him, what is this? he said, what you've ordered, I said no it's not, I ordered spaghetti with clams.
He insisted that it was what I ordered and that's the way everyone else eats it , even in Italy. I told him to take it back and show me the menu, I will order something else.
Apparently the Chef got insulted and came out of the kitchen, he told me that he did studied in Italy for 5 years and that's how they thought me.
I looked at him and said, you probably studied in northern Italy, he replied yes.
I'm from the south, we wouldn't dare put cheese on fish, he understood and all was good from there ;D.
We eat lots of cheese at my house, by the way, Restaurant Depot has a better price than Costco on parmigiano.
There are two things we don't put cheese on where I come from, pasta and beans and fish.
Also, I eat my spaghetti with just a fork.

Cheese or no cheese, enjoy your meal.

Sal

My Grandparents came from Naples in the 1890s My Father was a great Cook Ill not say Chef because it was not his perfusion, when I was 4years old or younger I was told that cheese was made for the table and not sprinkled of the meal, in fact it was not grated at all. It was sliced thin and put next to meal (Pasta) in a separate dish.

Now Ive gotten away from that stile a long time ago and I learned to sprinkle cheese on just about every Italian meal,except fish. As far as tradition goes that died with my Grandparents and my Father. Too Bad! :(

Joe         
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Big Tim

After cratering in the garage for several days in the fetal position thinking how could I have desecrated the Italian heritage by putting cheese on fish I snapped up and realized that shell fish are Mollusks and not fish at all  ;D So I will be cheesing away  ;D Ya gotta love this site.

BT