950 SSM

Started by Shark Hunter, March 20, 2016, 03:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

My boy Mike sent me an email yesterday asking about a 950 ssm.
I have one, I bought it four years ago. I fished it once. Lets take a look.
This reel looks tough, the only shortcoming is the arb. I wish it had dogs.
I cleaned a lot of sand from it, The Pinion bearing is massive.
I was really surprised at how well it was greased that looked like penn blue. Unfortunately, they greased the drags with it too.
I did a total service, drags, bearings and greasing and oiling.
He offered to buy it from me. I said, lets see what we can catch on it. ;)
Fourth Generation Chinese Penn.
We will see.

Life is Good!

reddy time

I use a 950ssm for beach fishing, it goes alright.  Landed a 6-7ft shark 80 odd kgs no problems.  I do like my ss ones better though.  Cheers Glenn

Alto Mare

Glenn,
don't compare the 950SSM to the 9500SS, even though they share a few parts, they're two different reel.
I purchased one brand new a while back and wasn't crazy it, so I got rid of it.

Considering the way we do maintenance on reels today, they would probably be ok.

With that said, I still prefer the 9500SS over the 950SSM.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

reddy time

I forgot to mention I was trolling with the reel around moored boats and hooked a mooring line pulling the reel and rod overboard into 20 metres of water.  I got my anchor and dragged the bottom and hooked my fishing line and pulled the reel and rod back in.  I didnt know anything about cleaning reels out back then, I pulled the side cover off and put some grease in and thats all, this was before it got a work out with the shark.  The main bearing has a bit of noise now.  But give me the SS models anyday which are getting expensive here in Australia.  Glenn