975 Frame Lettering

Started by barkley1956, March 20, 2016, 09:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkley1956

I have an International 975 that has lost most of the black from the lettering on the frame and left side plate. Any thoughts on getting the wording black again?

STRIPER LOU

Hey 1956, there is a process called inking. Its been a while since I've done it but we use to do it all the time at the switch company I worked for long ago. It requires a special paint and should be available online. Its kind of on the pasty side, almost the consistency of paint with talcum powder in it.

Wash the area with a light solvent, denatured alcohol, or the like. Cover the existing area with the ink and overlap the complete area of the lettering. Let it get to the point where it is almost dry and wipe off the excess off. It will leave the lettering filled in and the surrounding area will be clean. Don't rub off with a rag using your hand as you will remove paint from the lettering.

Use a tongue depressor covered with several layers of cloth and work it like a flat squeegee.

You should be able to research it online and I doubt the ink should cost much. As I remember we had lots of colors and it came in small plastic squeeze bottles. The best part is you can wash it out if you don't like the way it comes out and try again till you get the results your happy with. When it was dry we would take a small amount of lacquer on a rag and wipe over the lettered area for protection.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Regards,  ..  Lou

handi2

I've done it with regular paint wiping it down with Alchohol in between fillings. It comes out ok.

I'll look into the product suggested.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Penn

We use "black flat poster screen ink" here.

tony

Marcq

Never done it but if it was me I would try a syringe with a fine needle

Marc..

Ruffy

The other option is to get some nail polish remover on a q tip and take out all the paint. I did this for a 965 and it looked a lot better. Admittedly not as good as the black lettering but a lot easier if you don't have the means.

Cheers,
Andrew

barkley1956

Thank you for the suggestions! I may try them all lol