Braided line/ Fuji hardloys

Started by mikeg24thst, March 21, 2016, 06:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeg24thst

I had some guides with a groove worn into them 3 different rods guides all bought at different times power pro and USA braid from Walmart any help would be greatly appreciated

Reel 224

I assume you mean that the hardloy guides were damaged. I use braided line also and have never had that problem. I use Hardloy guides on some of my rod that I built. How long have you had the rods? By the way I use PowerPro Braid 40#.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeg24thst

I built that rod 2 yrs ago but just started running braid through it last year the other rod I built this past thanksgiving and the 3rd rod built last year and has only been on 10 trips the most

cbar45

You must be fishing some very abrasive-loaded waters if the braid is grooving your Hardloys.

I've heard reports of it happening to Hardloys before, but it doesn't seem to be a common occurence.

What happens is the sediment gets trapped in the braid and acts like a wire saw as it runs over the guide rings.

It gets worse if you happen to hook a fast, hard running, fish.

I hate to say it, but the safest option would be to swap out the Hardloys for a set of SiC (or SiN) rings which are much harder and resist grooving.

Chad

mikeg24thst

Thx I'm going to swap out the damaged guides and switch the line out to mono next guides I buy will be SIN inserts

exp2000

I have been told by the Fuji supplier in Oz that hardloy L series guides are being discontinued.

These have always been my mainstay.

There are still the newer O series guides but being a little cheaper, I wonder if these are a step down in durability?
~

cbar45

Concept "O" (Hardloys replacement), is actually an improved version of Fuji's base model Aluminum Oxide ring. 

I have been using them since they first came out, and they perform just as well as Hardloys did--no complaints.

A big plus of Concept "O" is that they come in deep-pressed frame models, suitable for NGC guide layout.

Prior to this you could only get concept frames in rings of Alconite quality or higher.

With two budget versions of identically performing Aluminum Oxide rings, it makes sense that one of them (Hardloy) was discontinued.

-chad

mikeg24thst

I'm looking into alps zirconium inserts but I'm a Fuji guide guy will the new o concept hold up to braid

cbar45

Quote from: mikeg24thst on April 02, 2016, 01:43:04 AM
I'm looking into alps zirconium inserts but I'm a Fuji guide guy will the new o concept hold up to braid

I, as well as others here, have been using Concept "O's" for shore fishing with up to 30-40lb. braid no problem.

However, since the material is similar in composition to Hardloys, (both being a higher grade of Aluminum Oxide), I wouldn't recommend using them with braid in your waters--as you report your Hardloys have been grooved.

This isn't to say that Concept "O" will definitely groove for you, only that I have no experience using them where you fish and thus unqualified to say how they will hold up--other than noting their similarity to Hardloy.

-chad

mikeg24thst

I was looking at the alps aluminum oxide guides and it says braid safe on the description

mikeg24thst