Any upgrades for 114h2?

Started by Corpusmane, March 25, 2016, 03:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Try it out with the stock gears before making unneeded alterations. I have yet to see the bronze main gear tear out of 114H's or H2's unless you want to go to a higher ratio. The SS gear sleeve, dog, yoke is a good start. You can always go further at a later time. See if it does what you are looking for before spending money on something that you don't need. Pick up an adjustable power handle & custom knob from the aftermarket suppliers on this forum to go along with a SS gear sleeve.          Rudy

Corpusmane

Only pics I have of the reel , out of town right now. Think I'll go ahead and add an 114h handle and screw. Changing the drag washers, yoke, gears and sleeve. Is all this available on scottsbt?

Army_of_One

Quote from: Corpusmane on March 25, 2016, 06:11:17 PM
Only pics I have of the reel , out of town right now. Think I'll go ahead and add an 114h handle and screw. Changing the drag washers, yoke, gears and sleeve. Is all this available on scottsbt?
I'm pretty confident that is a factory 114HLW aluminum frame.  It's just missing the "Penn" sticker.
Another day in Paradise!

Corpusmane

thought maybe aftermarket cause of the color was a metallic maroon

RowdyW

Quote from: Corpusmane on March 25, 2016, 06:11:17 PM
Don't forget the SS dog also. Scott's should have it all. Maybe try Alan T. or Triple Se7ens on the forum for the handle. AT has a nice knob also. The 6/0 would be the knob size that you would want.

Army_of_One

I would need to see the right side plate, but I'm willing to bet you have a factory 114HLW with aluminum frame, not a 114H2.  The HLW only has five holes like the 2, but if you take the ring off, the sideplate will have more holes.  The bearing cup should be visible on the sideplate, and from what I can see in the pic, you have the regular handle screw, not the trapped version.  I just did one exactly like it.  It's wider than a 9/0, but the 9/0 has a larger diameter.
Another day in Paradise!

Corpusmane

I bought a 114h2 and put it on this frame so it's for sure an h2

Army_of_One

Can we see the other side, and is that the right side on the rod?
Another day in Paradise!

Corpusmane

Right side

Army_of_One

Quote from: Corpusmane on March 25, 2016, 08:06:52 PM
I bought a 114h2 and put it on this frame so it's for sure an h2
I would personally get an SS gear sleeve, handle/knob, handle screw/lock screw, proper sideplate screws, new drags, and SS dogs(cut the plate for the second, you've got an extra sideplate to practice on right?  ;) ).  I am excessive at times though and would probably get a steel gear as well.  Most of that list can be gotten in one place:
http://store.scottsbt.com/PennParts/Penn114HLW.aspx

There are members here who have a lot of these available too.
Another day in Paradise!

RowdyW

I hope that you are not getting mixed up with the "extra" comments. I don't know how much experience you have with all the mods that are available but my advice is to start off slow & later decide if you need every mod available. You will never get the money back that some people try to get you to do everything. A lot of mods like double dogging aren't really neccessary. That's one of the last things you would want to do. Take small steps & don't get carried away with everybody else's ideas. It's your $money$ not theirs. A lot of the people don't put that kind of money in their reels but they will tell you to go all out. I feel that you don't have unlimited funds to do everything or you probably would have started with a new Tiburon frame which also isn't neccessery. By the way you do have a 114H2 just like you originally said & the frame you bought is a Penn 114 HLW that is faded from the sun, thus the color change. Good Luck on your build & keep us posted.     Rudy

Corpusmane

I appreciate everyone for the help. I probably will start slow and take it one thing at a time. Also the frame only has 5 holes, so maybe a newer model?

RowdyW

Quote from: Corpusmane on March 25, 2016, 09:51:06 PM
I appreciate everyone for the help. I probably will start slow and take it one thing at a time. Also the frame only has 5 holes, so maybe a newer model?
No, Penn only made that full aluminum frame for a couple of years & then discontinued it entirely. At the same time they also made a aluminum half frame which they also discontinued. The graphite half frames are junk IMO. The full frame was only made with 5 holes even though the plates that were mounted on them had 8 holes with 5 hole outer rings. Make sure that you grease the ends of the frame & plates where they come together because they can get hard to get apart after a period of time & salt. Also keep the screw holes in the frame well greased because I have seen a lot of those original Penn half & full aluminum frames with broken screws in them. Maybe that's why Penn discontinued them.    Rudy

Corpusmane

What drag set should I get, there are 5 options it looks like on mysticparts

RowdyW

Your original plates should have the latest style CF drags. It should have 2 eared & 3 keyed washers & 5 carbon fiber HT-100 washers. They just need to be greased with Cal's drag grease. The ultimite drag set up can be gotten from Adam at Three Se7ens in the directory on the first page of the forum. The kit is an insert with Dura-Drag style drags. At full crank down they will have more drag then you could possibly hold.  But they will be smooth as butter up to & even over 30#. They have been tested to upwards of 60#. The stock drags are probably good for 23-25# max. but probably not smooth at max drag. Check Adam's web page & check out the handles available & check Alan T for a knob to go with it.