Mitchell Parts & Neat Old French RU PACIFIC from the 50's

Started by foakes, March 25, 2016, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Just received the Mitchell parts inventory of a tackle shop that no longer had the mechanics capable of repairing the old Mitchell's.

About 100 pounds of NOS parts -- most still in original packaging or key number envelopes.

Add this to what I already had on hand -- about 500 spools, 400 complete reels, and another 7 large cupboards full of organized parts, dealer repair suitcases, crates full of parts reels and bodies -- and that is a lot of old French Reel stuff.  

Perhaps Tens of thousands of individual pieces -- who knows?

Anyway, if any of you need parts for a Mitchell -- let me know, we might both get lucky with what is here.

Plus, if you prefer, I can restore any of your old Mitchell's back to fishing or display condition.

Good old reels -- probably only brand with more of these around is Zebco and Penn.

But the parts are tough to come by.

Next step is to really organize all of the parts according to model & Key number -- just as an example, each of the envelopes is full of parts -- the one shown has 10 side body plates in it -- and they are all full -- around 400 envelopes.

Also found this neat old RU Pacific half-bail spinner with an extra spool -- probably from the 50's.

Notice the way the bail mechanism folds away and down from the spool.

Holds 260 yards of 20 pound test.

Even without being restored or serviced -- it works flawlessly -- with smooth operation and a crisp, strong bail return.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Wow, that is an amazing amount of parts. I have been looking for a Mitchell Series three handle, would you happen to have one in the group of parts? This is the handle I need. Thanks in Advance, Mike C.

theswimmer

Super cool Fred!
You know my weakness for French reels.
I have a spinner I need to get parts for. ( You have heard this before!)
I love that old RU...
Best ,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

handi2

I sure need to get with you once you get organized.

I still have a few Ru Mer reels and gave a couple to a forum member here.

Thanks for all that you do..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Do not think I have a new one Mike --

But would gladly take a good old one off of another reel -- N/C, if that would work for you.

If that pic is your reel -- that handle can be cleaned up to shine like new.

Let me know what you want to do -- and if needed, just PM your address -- and it will be on the way.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

100 lbs... what an invaluable treasure! I love the big old Mitchell Garcia spinners... first learned to surf cast with a 306.

And, Fred, I remember that you already saved my bacon once after I stupidly threw out the click spring from a 402 I was rebuilding...  ::)

Henceforth, you are clearly THE go-to guy for all things Mitchell... perfect!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bill B

Interesting they had no "Mechanics" that can work on the old Mitchells, maybe like trying to find an auto mechanic that can still replace a set of points and set the timing on an old '63 Sedan DeVille....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

Fred do have the correct rotor and handle for a Mitchell 306 Pro? The handle on these is a dark color with a smaller pancake knob.

Thank you,

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Have a lot of NOS 306 parts, Keith...

Not sure about the PRO though.

Wife is supposed to pick up your gift from the PO today.

I am still involved in tree work each day for likely amother 3/4 days -- first light to 6:00 each day.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

Penn Chronology

QuoteDo not think I have a new one Mike --

But would gladly take a good old one off of another reel -- N/C, if that would work for you.

If that pic is your reel -- that handle can be cleaned up to shine like new.

Let me know what you want to do -- and if needed, just PM your address -- and it will be on the way.

Best,

Fred

Everything arrived safe and sound. A show of appreciation is on the way back to you. You are too good!

foakes

And I receive from Mike today -- a signed limited edition hard copy of his great Chronological History of Penn Reels.

WOW!

Not necessary, but greatly appreciated.

I will keep this one as a display for a Penn collection I am working on -- and the soft cover one for reference.

Thanks, Michael.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks, Michael.

You are very welcome. Least I could do after all the generosity you have shown me.

Reel 224

Quote from: handi2 on March 25, 2016, 10:57:34 PM
I sure need to get with you once you get organized.

I still have a few Ru Mer reels and gave a couple to a forum member here.

Thanks for all that you do..!!

Keith: If you are talking about me as far as the RuMer parts you gave me, I'm still here ;D And the reel is in great working shape thanks to you SEE!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."