Newellmaster 344 colored frames and spools

Started by steelhead_killer, March 25, 2016, 01:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

So I found this online and wanted some feedback.  In theory, you could take Contez plates, Jigmaster SS dbl dogged bridge, SS sleeve, 5+1 drags and use it on a Newell 344 frame?  Has anyone done this mod?

Thoughts?
https://www.facebook.com/brians.supply/photos/pb.1446092195703699.-2207520000.1458870461./1446097215703197/?type=3&theater
><)))">

Maxed Out

Andy, I think it would be a shame to do that to a newell reel. Just my opinion, nothing personal. My guess is if the newell sideplates fit, then the frame would work, but that's just a guess.

I'm guessing you are daydreaming what you "might" do if you had another set of cortez jigmaster plates.  :D :D Take a deep breath and relax. Toms 4/0 plates will soon cure what ails you.  ;) ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Yogi_fish808

What you're talking about is the Yellowfin Special, same width as a Newell 344. There are 2 options to do this conversion, Newell made a kit that included 344 Bars/Base and 344 width spool or the Modern Tiburon 1pc frame/spool kit. I've done both and love them! Mind you the tiburon route probably will require a lot of massaging/fine tuning of the pinion gear and spool shaft. It's been discussed at length in the thread for the Cortez jigmaster plates. The Newell spool works much better, endless freespool and lighter weight. With the cortez plates I've made the standard newell 344 spool work too, much cheaper and easier to find than an actual yellowfin jigmaster spool.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Andy, as Kyle said, that is basically the Tiburon P20W kit, which is $154 including shipping.  Here is the current availability:

P20W Frame (Jigmaster and 505HS Yellowfin Special, 344) - $77 including shipping

7 Silver
10 Cobalt
20 Black
2 Green

P20WS Spool - $77 including shipping

Plenty of P20WS spools in Red, Black, Electric Blue, Cobalt, Purple and Green - everything but silver

Yogi_fish808

Re-read and I think Andy was asking was about using the actual Tiburon kit for the Newell 344. I think it might work as long as the bearing caps are adjusted to center the spool, might require some shims. My stock 344 and 332 spools do work with the cortez plates but I'm not sure if the tiburon items are the exact same tolerances.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Kyle, I'm surprised that you can back the bearings our far enough on the Cortez plates to accommodate the significantly longer drive shaft on the Newell spools, but if you have done it, it must work.  I'm pretty sure that the link that Andy originally provided was about a kit for Jigmaster side plates, and he mentioned the Newell 344 to refer to the frame width.  Which is it Andy?

Yogi_fish808

His post jogged my memory a little. I recall someone mentioning that they'd seen the a 344 spindle machined down to fit jigmaster plates. The reels Brian's facebook post is showing must be one of those examples.

steelhead_killer

Clarification:  The post shows a tib frame and spool made for a newell fitted with a Jigmaster plates.  Since I have extra parts from the CC builds, I thought it would be  a way of using the old parts left over. 
><)))">

Newell Nut

If you read the whole description by Brian you will see they are modified parts. No plug and play.