349H

Started by Shark Hunter, March 27, 2016, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Beautiful reel! She sure does fit the bill for "cherry"! So....what mods are happening?

Shark Hunter

No Mods to this one.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 31, 2016, 09:07:48 AM
No Mods to this one.

A 5 washer drag stack is available (I have 2 of my 349H reels set up with 7+1 stacks but the 5 washer set works great) and a 113H SS Gearsleeve works on them.

My butt reel, one of a pair set up stock width with Newell aluminum spool, 5 CF washer and a Delrin washer drag stack, SS 113H gearsleeve, 505 bars (one has 3 of Alan C's nice SS ones) and SS AR dog.  These reels get used but cleaned up extra well every time they get close to saltwater.

7+1 drag stack,

The pinion gears and yokes are switched around, the one on the left is for a 349.  There is enough room in the 7+1 drag stack to use 2 Bellville washers too.  The .035" metal washers held up well but I feel a 5 washer stack using .045" is a better choice for a 349/349H.  If you feel the need for more drag go with a much stronger narrowed 114H.  I wish Tiburon made a 349 width frame and spool for the 114H

My first 5+1 stack, Smooth Drag now sells them for the 349H, I have a few for the 349 left.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mhc

Lee has some good points there Daron, there are a few options with the drag, SS sleeve and handle. Since the reel has been modified already with the Newell wahoo kit, a few more wont hurt. Of course there is 113H stainless stars available as well, and maybe an extra dog or two - but I wouldn't go overboard with it.   ;) ;D ;D

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

That's a sweet pick up, my man. Since you're off the wrench for a couple weeks, you can maybe get us the pics of the collection?? :) Good luck on the hand' I've had a couple close ones doing the same thing.

All, BTW, re Skin Shield, Liquid Bandage, etc: I used to make one of the name brands as well as a generic...they literally filled out of the same drum of bulk and were badged for private label, so just check the active ingredient levels against each other (diphenhydramine and benzethonium chloride) and don't pay for the name brand....that label cost you four bucks....same stuff.

John

Shark Hunter

I went with the .99 cent option. Super glue. It is working great.
Thanks for the pictures and ideas Lee and Mike.
That Keta Krank looks great on there Lee. Too bad I didn't buy any of those.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

yep I hope he runs some more of those...I joined after they were all gone..

sdlehr

Daron, glad to hear the thumb is on the mend. We need you back in full form!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

surfcaster

The 349h already has all the drag you will ever need  but, Lee can make it better.
  Tight Lines ,Richie

Ron Jones

Since we are talking mods.
How about someone make aluminum side plates that fit 113H guts in a 349? Can you imagine a 35# drag 4:1 349? I don't think you could ask for a better deep drop bottom fishing reel for the PNW.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

Ron, Black Pearl is building an ultra narrow 113H that will be very similar to that & is available with 4 to 1 gears & versa style drags. If you want to go deeper try a narrow 114H. I don't think that there would be much interest in the 349 when there are similar Penn reels that will do the same job. Dreaming is fun but not very logical.     Rudy

thinkwahoo

I believe the 113 gears are a lot smaller than the 349.  If possible match a set up against each other.

The wahoo special kit was indeed 2 7/16, but just couldn't leave well enough alone so narrowed the reel to the "99" width of 2 1/8".

Ron Jones

If I am not mistaken, a 349 is 6/0 width. A 6/0 with 4:1 gears will retrieve considerably more per crank than a 4/0 at the same speed. That is what I am looking at. 450-600ft is a long way down.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

The 349 is 501 width.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Quote from: noyb72 on April 03, 2016, 04:46:33 AM
If I am not mistaken, a 349 is 6/0 width. A 6/0 with 4:1 gears will retrieve considerably more per crank than a 4/0 at the same speed. That is what I am looking at. 450-600ft is a long way down.
Ron
The 349 is a little narrower then a 113H YTS.  It is also a little narrower then a narrow 114H. The 349 Wahoo Special is about the width of a 113H std. width & a 114H narrow. Again, Black Pearl is building a 113h that will be narrower then a YTS. Probably the width of a 349 which will take all the parts of a 113H so why would you need to build a 349 the same. As far as 450-600 ft. down use braid. You are always touting braid so it would be better then using mono at that depth. BP's 113h is going to make the 349 obsolete as far as customizing goes. Just think about a 113H the width of a 349 with drop in SS double dog plate, 4 to 1 gears with Versa style drags, SS gear sleeve, SS double dogs, SS yoke, SS eccentric jack, aluminum end plate & frame, ball bearings to support the spool, narrow aluminum spool too & you will probably be able to get an electric reel winder to fit it when you have to keep winding it up to check baits from 600 ft. 6/0's aren't available with 4 to 1 gears even in the aftermarket. I think 3.25 to 1 is max.