Servicing a Penn Senator 118 (16/0)

Started by Alto Mare, February 18, 2011, 11:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirmypug

Alto if I make any I will need you to draw the plate the shape you need for the extra dog, if i'm cutting the plate by hand a little mod. in the shape is easy to add  ;)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

redsetta

Thanks SP - that's what I figured.
QuoteHow will you mount it? Weld?
Albert raises a good point here.
I tried unsuccessfully to re-press a loose post - ended up breaking it.
Welding's an option, but overheating can cause the S/S to become brittle.
Tapping and screwing would probably be the easiest solution.
I definitely like the idea of all S/S internals though! ;) ;D
And particularly like Alan's idea of more teeth on the gear sleeve.
Interesting thread lads, cheers.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Squirmypug

The SS will only become brittle if it is really overheated, usually it will turn dark grey/black and might have "sugaring" on the side that isn't shielded by argon.I've welded alot of SS so it shouldn't be much of a problem, but SS warps alot when welded and that is harder to reduce.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

redsetta

Cheers SP - good to know.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

Send me your address.  The shaft is ready to go.

Not exact dimensions (close), but it fit on my reel.  I actually think there is too much slop between the shaft and sleeve on the originals.  If I were to do it over, I'd want to cut it to my own, closer, specs.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Squirmypug

That was fast! Which reel did you make it for? It could take me a while to find 1/8 stainless to use but I can make one from HR steel and your post as a test if you want.

Makule

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 05, 2012, 03:44:48 AM
That was fast! Which reel did you make it for? It could take me a while to find 1/8 stainless to use but I can make one from HR steel and your post as a test if you want.

It was made for the 14/0 an 16/0 reels since that's what we were talking about.  I don't need for it to be tested since it worked on the sleeve from my reel.  I made the thing for you, but if you don't want it, I'll just toss it.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Squirmypug

I don't even have a 14 or 16/0, this just happened to be the post that got me thinking about making these  ;D If you want to send it to me I will make it when I find the SS, but that could be a while.I would send it back to you after making it for testing or could send it to someone else that wants a SS bridge plate.I was mainly thinking about making them for the 113h tank and 114h that others like to double dog and add SS parts to. No need to toss it, it took some time to make. Thanks for being so willing to help though!

Keta

Nice, building the the larger dog lets you keep your finger prints longer.

I'll have to check but 1/16 might work for Jigmaster dogs.

I believe that the piece would be worthless if you overheat it, Keta could answer that one better than me, I'm a stone/brick mason and carpenter and don't know much about steel.

Too much heat is bad, try to keep the metal from turning blue.  Most of the work on the first 114H dogs was by hand honing them to the final dimensions so heat was not a problem.  The water cut ones will only need a little sanding to clean them up and the contact surfaces polished.  

If I have a dog I can locate material and make a copy out of SS.  Let me know what is needed and if you have an old dog get it to me and I'll make them.   I was thinking about making slightly wider SS bridges but I'll just install a pin to keep the second dog spring in place.

Quote from: alantani on March 04, 2012, 08:52:34 PM
I'm thinking that the next run of gear sleeves should have more teeth.  great post!

Good idea

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 05, 2012, 12:13:53 AM
Need the lathe to make the post that the gear sleeve is on.

Last Friday I dug an old Atlas Mk1 6" late out of a neighbors scrap pile and I'm working on getting it running for making these.  Are you set up to TIG weld?  I'd have to borrow a machine but I have 316 rod.  I can get the bridge plate water cut if I have one but I've only had to replace 1 in many years and didn't keep it.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Squirmypug

Yes I'm all set for tig welding, and can make an aluminium heat sink from 1/4 in to help keep the heat down from welding if needed.

Keta

If the post is a slight press fit you should be able to weld the back side without much heat problems.  Something like Solar Flux on the other side would help keep them looking nice too.

Now........how do I get the shaft out of a spool without dammaging the spool.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Squirmypug

Yes I was thinking the same thing, but with 1/8 SS it shouldn't get much color.I haven't used solar flux before but could get some if it is really needed.

Squirmypug

Spool shaft could be a little harder to remove without damage to the spool..Heat and press is my only thought for that  :-\

Keta

My brother owned a Aviation Weld Repair Station and machine shop and most of his work was on very thin material so we used a lot of Solar Flux.  

Brother did much better retro cobbling than I can but he had a full machene shop.  I wish I had photos of some of the Zero gear boxes he built.  My S-n-L is curently working on the plane.

"Counterfeit" piece for Evergreen Aviation's WWII Zero restore.  The number stamp is even "offficial", the anodising isn't.  60+ years in the Jungle was not good to the plane.

Mark Twain

Squirmypug

Thats a great looking piece  ;D  We have been talking about all this in the 16/0 thread, should we start another so that theres not so many posts in this?