Servicing a Penn Senator 118 (16/0)

Started by Alto Mare, February 18, 2011, 11:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I am servicing a Penn Senator 16/0.  I am not a pro, but I just wanted to bring something to the table.

[IMhttp://s1101.photobucket.com/user/pescatore1/media/DSC_0026-2.jpg.htmlG]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/pescatore1/Picture002.jpg[/img]

I will start by removing the handle.

Next, I will remove the right side plate.

I like to keep the screws in a marked container.

As you can see, the inner side of the plate looks pretty clean, but that doesn't mean much. I will set it on the side for now.

Next, I will remove the spool, the frame posts, and the stand.

I will then remove the left plate.

At this point, I will be working on the left plate.

I'll now remove the bearing. It feels good, so I'm only going to clean it and pack it with grease.

I will scrape some of the dried grease off of the clicker tongue and give it a good coat of grease before I put the bearing back in place.  I will also lightly grease the inside of the plate.

I will now install the frame posts and the stand.

I will put the spool back in place and set it on the side for now.

Now I will work on the right side plate. I start by removing the bridge screws.

As you can see, the sleeve needs to be replaced. The tip is rounded.

I have the true replacement, but I am going to go with a stainless steel upgrade (just my preference.)

The stainless steel sleeve had too much play, so I added a washer. It feels right now.

I will also be replacing the asbestos washers with HT100s.

The main gear is in pretty good shape, but at this point I am just going to replace it. We will get to this in a little while.

I will now remove the eccentric, bearing, and dog. I will clean the bearing as before.

The dog springs will need to be replaced. The one on the right shows wear.

I will now clean the yoke, the jack, and the eccentric and grease them. Then I will reassemble.

The pinion gear looks great. I will just grease it.

Next, I will install the bridge. At this point, leave it tilted a bit so you can install the dog spring and then line it up.

Set the dog from the other side while you hold the bridge in place. You will feel that the bridge will set itself

I will now install the bridge screws.

I will also replace the fiber washer under the main gear with a HT100 as Alan recommends.

Slide the main gear in. It gets a little tricky. Move the eccentric lever forward, as if you were engaging the gears. Press on the pinion gear with one hand and the main gear will slide right in.  This is what works for me.

I will now install the new drags, the drag shield, and the star wheel with the tension spring.  Drags have been lightly coated with Cal's grease.

I will now reattach the handle, tighten the handle screw all the way, and then back it up one notch and install the set screw.

Here is the finished product, ready to go for another 50 years and more. I hope you enjoyed it for what it's worth. Thank you Alan for giving me the opportunity.  Take care, Sal.

Here are the pics, sorry if they're not in order:

[
img]http://i.imgur.com/SpHVtL4.jpg[/img]

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

kamuwela

great job thank's a million, from alan's fan club
                                                     aloha kamu

wallacewt

after thinking back not very long ago,and trying to do what you just did would have been next to impossible without ending up with some spare parts.we have seen the light!and been shown the way.very good for us salt-water athletes,yippee :D

Roger

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

akfish

Great job!
But I have a question: I always replace both the pinion and main gear when I replace either one of them. I take it you replaced only the main gear. Do the gears mesh OK?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Good observation, Akfish. Although it makes sense to take the guesswork out and replace the main and pinion gear at the same time, I personally don't beleive in it. I am not making any judgements here, if you feel that they both need to be replaced, then go for it! I usually replace only what needs to be replaced and always check the reel afterwards for functionality. Gears are manufactured to the same specs but are not made out of the same material. The pinion gear is made out of stainless steel and the main gear is bronze alloy, I don't think they wear the same. In the tutorial I stated that the main gear looked pretty good, but decided to replace it anyway, that does not mean that I will toss that one out. When this reel was re-assembled, I tested it and it performed flawlessly, so yes, the gears do mesh. Thanks for looking at my tutorial, I could have fine-tuned it a bit but didn't have the time.
Also, thanks to Kamuwela, Wallacewt and Roger for the kind words. Take care guys, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marlinmate

From a collector's view....Put that 16/0 on a shelf and look at it. Don't fish it and get it all corroded.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

alantani

bravo, sal!  send me a pm with your address.  i want to send you a wrench.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Very nice.  I still remember fishing these when I was a kid.  Okay, I really wasn't fishing them, it was my uncle and his friends.  I was the gaffer/spiker.  Ah, those were the days.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Sal,

Great job on the reel and tutorial!  I've done that reel about 6 times, and love how the bridge fits in much easier than the smaller Penn Senators.  I have to agree with Marlinmate... Shelf it!

Dom

Alto Mare

Thanks Dom, you're right, working on these larger reels is much easier. I wouldn't mind using it, but with my boat, I only venture out   about 10 miles . You're a Penn guy like myself, maybe I can hitch a ride on your 32 footer so we can show these guys what these vintage reels can do. Take care, Sal ;)

alantani

sal, where'd you get all the main gears?

broadway

Hey Sal,

Where are you located, and where do you boat out of?  That would be cool to fish all vintage Penns for a tuna/shark trip.  You have any experience with offshore fishing?
Dom

Alto Mare

I had a piece of stainless steel in the garage and I decided to give this a shot. I got the motivation from Lee, thanks Lee but you can have it. This is all done by hand using some of the tools that I have. As you know, I really like you guys, so don't ask me to make you one because I'm just not going to do it, sorry.
This dog is installed on my 16/0, that's the same reel that I made a tutorial on, when I first joined this great site. I thought I was cool then, boy did I look stupid afterward, besides Alan, I had no idea of the talent that already existed here. Here are a couple of shots.

alantani

i'm thinking that the next run of gear sleeves should have more teeth.  great post!