Quickest Way to Get Banned from Alan Tani Site! -- Talking Old Vintage Spinners

Started by foakes, March 28, 2016, 02:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Quote from: foakes on March 28, 2016, 07:13:10 AM
Which model shakes did you lose, Nelz?

It was the 2062, just like the one in your pic. I was on a friend's boat, drifting for flounder. I turned away for a moment, when another boat passing by too close snags my line and in the water goes my rod, never to be found again. Funny, that was at least 40 years ago, still remember it clear as day.

foakes

PM your full name and mailing address, nelz --

I will send it out.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Tightlines667

Fred,

You have a rare brown Cardinal manufactured in Sweden exclusively for the US market in 1977/78....

http://www.reelstown.com/pag_mod_abu/brown/zebco6x.htm

Your serial number (770301) indicates it was produced in March of 1977, and the '01' indicates that this reel incorporated a change from the previous version ('00').  The reel should have a 6:1 gear set.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Thanks, John --

There are a few reels that have weathered the test of time -- season after season -- for decades.

The ABU and Zebco Cardinals are one of these.  Simple, clever, over built with quality materials, very strong, and a brilliantly simple rear drag system -- that just works.

Here is some old paper on that Ocean City 350.

This year, I am going to take a bunch of the old stuff out fishing -- old rods, old reels, new line, freshly serviced -- and have some fun with a bunch of these.

Might just walk over and fish some of the ponds across the road with Jonathan.

I will take some pics for the site.

My theory is that the fish haven't changed much in millions of years -- so gear from 50 to 70 years ago should work just fine -- we will see...

50 years from now -- you will not be able to do this with a current model reel made primarily from plastics and shiny parts. 

The old ones were built to last -- when there was still pride, and corporations did not run their engineering departments from the bottom line on their financial statements.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on March 29, 2016, 03:32:28 PM
The old ones were built to last -- when there was still pride, and corporations did not run their engineering departments from the bottom line on their financial statements. Best, Fred

A-A-men!!

Which is precisely why I so love restoring and using the old classics; they are survivors of a bygone age when quality workmanship was still paramount.  :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

The Great Maudu

Hey Fred you have a great collection. I would be interested in buying that Ocean City 350. PM me if you want to sell it. Best, Mike

foakes

Thanks, Mike --

Only have one of those old 350s -- so am going to keep it just because it is such a great example of simplicity and an era gone by. 

One of the Shakes is going to nelz -- and some of the other Shakes are going to Daron.

I believe you can find better examples of these with the rotor decal intact -- on ebay.

You guys haven't seen my Nyolites from the mid 50s yet.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

anglingarchitect

foakes

No Mark --

But I have a few.

A good read, are any of Ben Wright's books on Spinners.

He is the expert.

There are various newer editions -- unbelievable resource, comparable to Mike's historical Penn book -- only strictly spinners -- and Ben is THE expert.

He has put a lifetime into this research --

Question: How many old vintage spinners are sold or tossed away -- without ever knowing the history or value?

Likely one find would pay for this book -- and it has over 6,000 reels listed, with 575 pics!

Mike knows who Ben is...

Best,

Fred

http://www.amazon.com/Wrights-Spinning-Reference-Value-Guide/dp/B004ZDVOXK

--------

Fred O.

swill88

Hey Fred.... I sent you a PM about some spinner parts I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Steve

foakes

Yes, I got it Steve --

Should have everything you need for that little Micro Daiwa 1000 & the Mitchell.

Won't be until likely Tuesday that I can get it out to you --

We are dropping trees, hauling branches after we limb them, burning slash piles, and stacking firewood away.

Will be working through Monday evening on this project -- if we do not get it burned before Cal-Fire cuts off the permits -- then we have a fire hazard through the summer.  Plus we have another 12 or 14 trees to drop.

Watching the fire die down now -- then have a hot bath with Sue waiting -- and a Ribeye for dinner -- we are both beat -- Sue sez to bring her Ribeye into the bathtub -- she isn't sure she can get out of the tub.

Hitting it again early tomorrow morning, and all day Monday.

Will be watching the fire for another 20 minutes -- then douse and start again tomorrow morning.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

swill88

That is some real and important work Fred.

I'm in no rush at all.

Thanks,

Steve

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Thanks, John --

I have a box of old 300 early half bail Mitchell's.  Maybe a dozen -- have to check.

Not sure if any are this old -- mine have the aluminum knurled crank knobs.

Have to take a look through them sometime,

Also have some early CAPs (304, 305 size round bodies) --with the knurled knob, half bails, and pillar spools.

I would buy a lot of half bails for a few dollars, since many people thought the bail was broken -- and parts were not available.

Knowledge is key.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.