Quickest Way to Get Banned from Alan Tani Site! -- Talking Old Vintage Spinners

Started by foakes, March 28, 2016, 02:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Trying to find the time to go through my storage container of about 1500 old vintage reels -- many, many old spinners -- many I have not heard of. 

I have hundreds of Mitchells, Quicks, Penns, Daiwas, and Shimanos -- but these 1500, or so extras in crates -- have always been just extra accumulations -- might find a few gems in here.

Pulled a a few crates today to see what might be inside.

Most of these came from closed down old tackle shops, repair guys, many unclaimed reels brought in for repairs over the last 50 years -- just tossed in boxes and forgotten about.

I do love old spinners from the 50s thru 90s.

That is when they made reels that could be worked on.  Screws were good quality -- not cheap one-times, aluminum bodies, simple, overbuilt, clever designs -- not plastic.

These are not worth much money -- but to me, it is neat to study and learn from the evolution and history.

Hopefully; if Alan doesn't strip off my epaulets and ban me forever -- and if anyone is interested, I can post more.

Please post your own neat old spinners here also -- fun for all to see.

Best,

Fred

Who knew that Ocean City made Spinning Reels in the 50s? -- 300, 310, 330

Look at this old OC 310 with a solid, non-moving bail -- simple and bullet-proof.

Spare NOS OC 310 spools -- more metal in one of these spools -- than most reels coming out of Asia today.

This is a complete reel -- anyone know what it is?
Answer: An Ocean City 350 Spinalong from 1955 -- it really works very well -- sold for $4.95 in 1955.  Holds 100 yards of 6 pound test.

How about these old ball bearing Shakespeare's? -- Still work as good as new -- nice, strong, crisp bail return, smooth action.

Vintage French Savoy

Italian AGAL

Various interesting reels

Old Vintage US Made Ashaway Surf Slip-Caster

One of the oldest Roddy's I have seen

Really neat tiny Shimano ultra microlight MLX Quickfire 100

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Wow.. those are some neat old reels you've got there Fred.  Do you have any of the early Abu prototypes in those boxes of yours?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

No idea, John --

It has taken me decades to get to this point of going through these -- have to wait and see.

What does a prototype look like?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Very cool Fred. We can't ban you but you could ban yourself now that you are a mod.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

The earliest Abu production spinner was the model 444..

http://www.realsreels.com/ABURecordreelmodelsSpining.html

The Abu record and the many early variants pictured here..

http://www.reelstown.com/pag_mod_abu/abu_first_models.htm

Are widely sought after, as are any of the early green...

http://www.reelstown.com/pag_mod_abu/abu_greenbody.htm

Brown/tan...

http://www.reelstown.com/pag_mod_abu/abu_tan_brownbody.htm

Cardinals.

*A photo of the early Cardinal prototype is attached.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cone

Fred, you have some great reels. I love the old ones. Luckily you don't have to send them to Alan for repair or service. He posted his bar tab was covered for the year on a shimano spinner service.  ;D    Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

It takes a little more to get banned from here ;).
interesting reels, Fred

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Fred should write a history book on spinning reels. I'm sure he has most of the spinners through history.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marcq

WOW!! I thought I've seen it all  :o

Amazing!!

BTW where do you find the time?

Marc..

nelz

Love those Shakespeares, the finish is beautiful. I lost one of those overboard as a kid, oh the heartbreak!

foakes

Which model shakes did you lose, Nelz?

John, still got a bunch to look through -- could take awhile, since I am backed up on repairs, have a couple of classes I am taking, got a lot of chores to do, plus we are fetting ready for a 4 week cross country road trip down South to Florida -- back up the East Coast to NY & Boston -- then back across to California via Philadelphia -- then heading through some remote parks that we may visit with the camper later this year.

For now, just taking the Outback -- staying in motels.

Did find a real nice old brown with a tan rotor 6 -- #770301

Plus a box of green and grey 4s & 6s with a lot of extra parts and spools.  Need to get those operational.

No prototypes so far.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

On our upcoming road trip -- I have graciously received some invitations to visit, stay overnight, dinner, etc.

We doubt we will do too much planning ahead -- and would not want to impose on anyone.

The main thing, this trip has only one rule -- no schedules.

So whatever we decide to do that day will be perfect.  If we find some little place we would like to stay at, or a little longer -- that we will do.

So while We sincerely appreciate all of the hospitality -- we will just be trying to keep a "no schedule" schedule.

I will be online intermittently -- probably morning and evening -- who knows?

Thanks for the kind hospitality offers -- but this will be kind of a different trip for us.

Just exploration and no time constraints.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

After the war our US machine shops had nothing to do. Some crazy spinning reels were produced at that time. I have some locked away for my grandson who is now 14.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

--------

Fred O.