How to grease mini shielded bearings (without a bearing packer)?

Started by mingle, February 18, 2011, 11:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mingle

Hi guys,

I have a couple of small bearings (9mmx4mm and 17mmx5mm) which are shielded on both sides and I need to pack them with grease.

Removing the shielding looks pretty much impossible and I really don't want to risk damaging them... :-)

I've seen the special bearing-packer that Alan sells and it's a brilliant device, but I can't really justify spending the dosh on one, since I'll only be needing to pack these two bearings - this is a one-off!

I was thinking about warming the grease in a spoon and dropping the bearings in...

So are there any other tricks to getting grease into these little bearings?

Cheers,

Mike.

kamuwela

you are better off with the packer. but here goes.  i do mostly larger lever drag reel's, the bearing's are much larger. get a shaft that fit's perfect in the bearing and with a step to hold the bearing on the shaft. add grease to the side plate, install bearing, now insert shaft by forcing the shaft and bearing into the grease  you will notice grease squeezing out from the shield's. you may need to do this a few time's just till you are sure the bearing is filled.

codhead

Quote from: mingle on February 18, 2011, 11:49:42 PM
Hi guys,

I have a couple of small bearings (9mmx4mm and 17mmx5mm) which are shielded on both sides and I need to pack them with grease.

Removing the shielding looks pretty much impossible and I really don't want to risk damaging them... :-)

I've seen the special bearing-packer that Alan sells and it's a brilliant device, but I can't really justify spending the dosh on one, since I'll only be needing to pack these two bearings - this is a one-off!

I was thinking about warming the grease in a spoon and dropping the bearings in...

So are there any other tricks to getting grease into these little bearings?

Cheers,

Mike.

Are you in the UK? (your use of the word "dosh" suggests so)

If you are, I could possibly loan you a pair of Alan's bearing packers. I'm based in Wincanton, Somerset but if you're willing to pay for recorded delivery both ways, I'd be willing to loan them to you.

PM me if interested
The older I get, the better I was

mingle

@codhead,

Thanks for the offer...

I used to be in the UK, but emigrated to Melbourne, Australia in 1982! :-)

So shipping may be a bit prohibitive...  ;D

Cheers,

Mike.

alantani

save 5 bearings and it's paid for.  i tried all kinds of things as well.  mostly, it was just trying to push the grease through with my thumb.  finally gave up!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

And I've got some smaller ones in my spinners...16 of them in one reel.  I know that there was no way for me to pack the bearings without a packer.  Okay, 4 more 16 bearing spinners to go, 3 more 5 bearing spinners, and all penn spinners done. ;D  Cost was high at first, but the cost of new bearings...wow are they exensive.

Maybe you could get a couple of fishing buddies together and split the cost or offer to pack their bearing for a small cost to help cover the cost of the packer.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

$5 for shipping is already built into the total cost.  shipping to australia was only $6-7 extra.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!