Slow Ambassadeurs

Started by Rancanfish, March 29, 2016, 12:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I bought some Made in Sweden reels years ago for loaners.  I ended up letting everybody use some others I had.  So they sat and sat in a cabinet all this time.  Now they have no free spool spin to them.  I think the original grease just hardened up.

Now my question;  do I just open them,  carb blast the bearings, re-oil, and I'll be good?  Nice, solid, almost 100% new shape, but lazy rolling spools.  (2) 5600ws blue/gold 4 bearings, and a 6500C3 silver w/3 bearings.

I want to sell them off but not willing to do a full service. Will that get me rolling?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

PacRat

More than likely your lack of freespool stems from the levelwind mechanism. Just for kicks you could remove a tailplate and put a couple of drops of light oil on the plastic gear to loosin it up then put it back together and give it a couple of casts to see if it needs more work or not.

Good luck
Mike

tholmes

If they've been sitting for several years, I'd be inclined to tear them completely down and do a deep cleaning and re-lube. Flush the bearings (don't forget the levelwind bearing in the 5600WS) clean the old grease out of the gear train, lube 'em up and you're good to go.

Tom

Bryan Young

Hi Randy,

How much do you want to sell them for as is?  PM sent.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Well, I found that if you follow Alan's tutorial and clean the spool bearings and the level winds, your reels get much smoother.  8)

After a little research I found these to be considered desirable by the Abu crowd.  Not rare but desirable.

I guess I don't see the attraction. But Bryan does.

Thanks Bryan. Enjoy.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Thank you. They are great little reels. One is going to my daughter for bass fishing. She is a pretty good flipper.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D