which one to buy, he wondered......

Started by RiverAngler, March 29, 2016, 07:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverAngler

I have been looking at rod wrappers. I have settled on either an American Tackle or Pac Bay. In pics, they look identical. There is clearly about $100 difference between the two. What else should I look at? As you might guess, I'm a little confused by those two. All comments and recommendations are welcome. In a perfect world I would love to buy a used Renzetti for not a lot of $$, but pigs may fly before then.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Lowprofile

Check out the alps. Better chuck and speed selection.

handi2

I have the Pac Bay. I would say it's an entry level model.

Get the Alps...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

RiverAngler

Issue is not many places carry it. And they want way more money for it than I can afford. Sure is nice though.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

handi2

The Pac Bay works great and has never failed. I just have to use rubber bands on the chuck to hold the butt end of the rod from coming loose. It all breaks down very easy for storage and the attachments are very good.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lowprofile

I have the Amtac model. I also have to use rubber bands on the chuck and secure the butt to the chick with bands when drying or spinning under wraps. I'll be buying an alps when I get back to the states and have rooms for a new setup and dryers.

Reel 224

Quote from: RiverAngler on March 29, 2016, 09:42:36 PM
Issue is not many places carry it. And they want way more money for it than I can afford. Sure is nice though.

Ralph

Ralph: I have the updated Alps machine and it was $389.73 w/shipping from Utmost, it's a good soled wrapper. The only draw back Ive had is the working bead is 7' so if you are planing on working on larger rods you have to get an extended 40" base and guide stand for another $67.00. I used my old manual wrapper to finish an 8' rod at the last two guides but you could also use a bobbin.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Mine came with 2 base extensions, the 24" one is always attached.  It also came with a few "extras".   Not bad for driving a friend from SD to Oxnard and helping him clean his wife's "sewing room".

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RiverAngler

Well, good advice, all. It looks as though either the Amtac or Pac Bay can be upgraded to the Alps 3 jaw chuck, and costs as much as the Alps or more by the time the upgrades are done. Plus three dryer speeds on the Alps is a plus.

Joe. Utmost "who". Didn't see them in my search.

Lee. SCORE!

Ralph

foakes

Great acquisitions, Lee!

Sometimes it may be better to save up a little more money to get what will work the best.

Many times, after upgrading, we find that we have more $$$ in a OK machine -- but it isn't really as good as the one that was a little more originally.

Patience, planning, and letting others know what you need are all good habits.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RiverAngler

You're right, Fred. Reflects my thinking too, after weighing options.

UPDATE: Joe, found it. Thanks, as all leads and suggestions are welcomed.

Newell Nut

I bought a used and upgraded PacBay when I started and later upgraded to the Alps and it is a huge upgrade over the PacBay. The chuck is a lot stronger and smoother running.

Reel 224

Quote from: RiverAngler on March 30, 2016, 03:44:25 PM
You're right, Fred. Reflects my thinking too, after weighing options.

UPDATE: Joe, found it. Thanks, as all leads and suggestions are welcomed.

There site http://www.utmostenterprises.com/utmost_001.htm

Joe

RiverAngler

Thanks Joe, Newell Nut. Yeah, it looks like a much better machine for the $$ in functionality. Being able to turn cork and having a real "machinist lathe" style chuck are big ++'s. I wish Vendors would post better pics of their wares. How many spools will the carriage hold;it looks like it might hold three. I can't tell.