Looking for a drag disc, Tyrnos 10

Started by taz575, February 19, 2011, 04:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taz575

Figured I would post this here.  I took apart my Shimano Tyrnos 10 and saw the drag had the carbon fiber yarn pulling off of it.  The drag disc is a bit over 44mm OD x bit over 14mm ID X 1.05mm thick (it's like 44.32mm X 14.20mm X 1.05mm).  Do you guys have any drag washers that I could modify to get these dimensions??  It shouldn't be a big deal if the ID is slightly bigger, but it does have the 4 screw holes like the larger Tyrnos.

alantani

shimano will send you a new one that will hopefully not shed.  dawn asked me, but i do not have a good idea as the scope of the problem.  without a better idea, i really could not recommend that she proceed with production of such a drag washer.  it could be a minimum thousand dollar order!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

taz575

Ok, I will see when the new disc gets here.  Hopefully they fixed that issue!  Fun little reel, but the drag issue really worried me!

Dawn

Let me know is the drags continue to be a problem.  I've just been waiting to see if there was a bad batch before I proceed.
If they improve there won't be a need for me to make them.

Dawn
Dawn

taz575

Will do!  Do you guys have anything as a stock washer close to the dimensions I posted that I could modify to make fit? 

alantani

dawn, i can tell you right now that this glued on yarn that shimano uses is nowhere near the quality of the material that you use.  that much i am certain of.  it's just that it's held up in the two speed tld's and tiagras well enough, despite it's tendency to shed.  is your product better?  absolutely, yes!  is their's bad enough that it creates a large enough market for you?  not sure.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dawn

I don't have anything that could be modified, sorry.
The closest one has a larger center hole  20.35mm, and I think that would be too large, and you wouldn't be able to make the screw holes line up.
The outside diameter is 49.15

Dawn
Dawn

taz575

taz575

Got the disc in yesterday.  Same as the old one as far as I can tell; hard backing plate and the soft feeling carbon fibers on top.  I will install it and see how it holds up.

Dawn

Dawn

Bryan Young

Quote from: keriuonlesmar on April 07, 2011, 06:27:11 AM
what to do with scratches on disc?
Can you post pics?  Not sure if I understand correctly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D