Owner Jobu Plated Hooks

Started by Tightlines667, March 30, 2016, 02:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Saw these at a local tackle shop and I thought of Daron. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Southernsharker

I've had good luck with those but it's really expensive to lose a double rig when you get cut off.

Shark Hunter

I just made up a half dozen rigs over the weekend John.
I have tinkered with other hooks the last year or so. I'm going back to the 20/0 Mustad. I've had good luck with them and they are not near as expensive as owners or gama's.

Life is Good!

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Sid,
I just try to catch Sharks for the sheer thrill and sport.
Its not rocket science, but you better know what you are doing before you tangle with them.
I hope everyone doesn't think of me when some poor soul gets bit.
I'm not out to hurt them or kill them. Just a little of their time on the end of my line. ;
Spearfishing, that's a whole different story. I'll pass on that one.
Life is Good!

Southernsharker

I like that wide sea demon j daron. I've never seen that hook I have started a log this year with a off brand black 20 circle, mustad 20, circle and a assortment of 12/0-16/0 Mustad j's. I'm writing down what we catch with the bait and hook used plus the misses and pulled hooks to make a decision. So far I have 6 sharks hit six caught 2 on circle, 4 on the 14/0 j 7731 mustad.  Ramundo down in Delray caught 2 hammers last week and a bull biggest hammer 9'3 on j's and they missed 2 on circles so I'm gonna keep at it and see what I get at the end of the year.

If you don't mind can you post your hits and misses and hooks after your trip so I can add that to my log?

Shark Hunter

I can tell you Brandon, All landed Sharks were on a 20/0 Mustad with cable leaders. One Bull with #19 wire, also on a Mustad.
I used the Lingred Pitman and catch all black steel hooks last year with #22 wire and didn't have good luck with them.
An 89" Hammer I caught last year was also on a 20/0. John handed the rod off to me. Mine didn't get touched.
I think it has a lot to do with your rig, not just the hook. If the sliding trace works like it should, The shark will hook itself.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 14, 2016, 04:52:26 AM
Sid,
I hope everyone doesn't think of me when some poor soul gets bit.
this from a guy that purposely goes by "Shark Hunter". When I hear shark now, I think of Daron. It wasn't because the guy got bit. If he had caught it, I still would have thought of you.

I've been scuba diving with a pretty big Tiger shark, maybe 9-10', and a bunch of Caribbean Reef Sharks. That was years ago before I came to this forum. If it happens again, I'll probably think of you. You be da shark man!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

;D
The Key word is Hunter, Not Hunted.
I prefer to stay on top of their realm.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Going back to old reliable. This is the way I first made shark rigs and I had good luck with them. Then I started using different hooks and wire leaders instead of cable and my catch rate has really fallen. I know Sharks can pick up the magnetic signature of the metal, I don't understand why cable is different, but I hope these work. 12' of 480lb ss aircraft cable and 25 feet of 400 lb mono for the sliding trace. I made seven of these and it was time consuming. Double 2.2 copper crimps at each connection with stainless thimbles, Rosco 500 lb swivels, 20/0 Mustad sharpened to a razor point.
Three afternoons and a case. ;) No matter how well you take care of them, they are expendable. The Salt eats them up.
I think the cable works better than wire for the hook up because it is allowed to swivel so much better getting the perfect hook set.
If its not perfect, the wire is going to get bitten off.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Daron that is one hell of a shark rig. I will have to try making one of those.

Do you bridle your baits? I started doing that a few years ago and my catch rate with circle hooks increased dramatically. What I do is I use some of those small rigging elastics/hair elastics and loop it through a rigging needle. Poke the fish right in from of the dorsal fin up top. Put the hook point through the band and then spin it around a few times. Tuck it back underneath. It's surprisingly really strong. A double bridle is even stronger. I feel the hook is able to work more efficiently because it's not deep in the bait. Nice clean hookup. If you are fishing live baits, they will literally stay alive all day. Well, at least until something eats them  ;D

Shark Hunter

I can send you one brother. I bought a 500' spool of cable.
I'm going to mix it up on my upcoming trip. The #22 wire is 500 lb rated and no longer available.
I'm going to run cable leaders on the 12 and 14/0 with Blackfin Tuna, Bonita, King on the Mustad 20/0.
The Everol 18/0 is getting the Gama 14/0, #22 wire with Stingray only. That is what the Leviathans of the deep really like.
I just hope I can bring home the bacon. I really want a 10 footer this time.
I have all my ducks in a row. Hours of preparation, tons of gear, focus and determination. A little praying also helps. ;)

Life is Good!

FatTuna

That's what it's all about. I hope you catch a monster hammerhead. I never knew sharks liked stingray until I started reading this board.

When are you going back to FL?

I love prepping all my tackle. However, I know what you mean about how much time it takes. Between the reels, the rollers on all the rods, tying up rigs/leaders, organizing gear. I'm literally still trying to finish all the odds and ends from last season. It seems like it never ends.

I will take you up on one of those rigs. They look killer.

This summer I want to catch a blue shark out on the bank with super light tackle.

Shark Hunter

Two Weeks! My toes will be in the sand. I've waited for 8 months. I am ready.
I have a new and improved Arsenal. Good things come to those who wait.
Kayak, rods, Coolers, Plates, belts, rigs, tackle bags.
Git-R-Done ;D
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Post up some pics when you get back so I can vicariously go on vacation too.

Getting new gear is always fun. Sounds like you are going to be fishing in style. 

What kind of rod belts are you sporting?