NEWELL & JIGMASTER KIT: 3 INCH WIDE TIBURON FRAME AND SPOOL FOR $195. WHO IS IN?

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, March 30, 2016, 05:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

This post is a duplication of my previous post on the Vintage Offshore Tackle forum, so if you already read that, you probably don't want to read this, but if you didn't read that, here it is:

Back when Accurate made components for Penn reels, they made a special production run of 3" wide Jigmaster kits (see photos below) for shore-based Hawaiian ulua fishermen who wanted maximum line capacity in a smaller diameter, easily handled reel.  These kits were 1/4" wider than the extra wide Newell "Yellowfin Special".  They very quickly sold out.   Today, I receive many inquiries about them from all over the country, especially from Florida, the Gulf Coast and Hawaii.  They are very hard to find, in fact I have only owned three despite many years of hunting for them.  I have asked Tiburon what they would require to make a special run for us. 

The Tiburon frame would fit any standard Jigmaster side plates, Accurate Accuplates, Lee Pro and Baja Pacific side plates, and of course our own Cortez Conversion side plates.  Tiburon is willing to produce spools for both Newell and standard Jigmaster side plates, but not for the 505/506.

The Tiburon frame would also fit any Newell 300 series side plates (some S and C series reels with the long screws that run across the reel will require regular screws).  Using the Newell numbering system, in which the first number is for the line weight without the zero (300 series + 30 lb. mono, 400 series = 40 lb. mono, etc.), and the last two numbers are the line capacity for that weight without the zero (the 44 in 344 means the reel holds 440 yards of 30 lb. mono), then this width Newell would be a model number 348, as I estimate a line capacity of 480 yards of 30 lb. mono (the 344 spool is a hair over 2 3/4" wide and holds 440 yds, so a 3" spool should hold 3/2.75 X 440 yds. = 480 yds. if my calculations are correct), or two miles of 80 lb. Spectra.

Tiburon would need me to order 50 frame/spool kits for one shipment in one color, and I would have to pay a substantial deposit in advance to schedule the production time.  The lead time would be approximately eight weeks.  I could sell the kits for $195 including shipping to anywhere in the USA, including Hawaii and Alaska.  Since we will only be able to run one color, it would seem to me that both the frame and spool should be silver as that color goes reasonably well with just about any side plate color.

I am not asking for any commitments yet, and will not unless I get enough positive feedback to give me the confidence to go ahead with the project, but I would really appreciate it if you would let me know if you would be interested in buying a silver frame and spool for the Newell Super 348 kit at $195 delivered.  If you feel strongly that a different color would be a better selection than silver, please let me know that as well.

Thanks,

Randy

Maxed Out

Very cool Randy, am I in trouble if I read both of your threads ??  ;D ;D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Yogi_fish808

Randy, if these do get made is there any way you can make sure they don't have clearance issues with the pinion gear and spool shaft like on some yellowfin kits. It would be a bummer to put that much down and have issues like that.

bparages808

Im in.. ill do 2. Silver is nice and clean... that or black...either one...bummers on the 505s

foakes

I will take a set, Randy --

Silver would also be my choice.

But any color would work.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.