Another EVH 621 question

Started by BryanC, March 31, 2016, 01:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanC

I picked up another Edward Vom Hofe 621 4/0 reel.  This one has  'K' prefix on the serial number, dating it to 1918.  The external cosmetics are pretty good on this one, but the left side bushing cover end cap / oil port (not sure of the correct term) moves freely by hand.  I didn't realize this until now, but the end cap on the bushing cover only has a single rivet.  The other 'nub' on the cap does not go all the way through.  This is easier explained with photos:

As you can see, the end cap with the maker's mark and patent date can be rotated while the main body of the bushing remains in place.  On this reel it rotates easily -- too easily.  Light finger pressure will move it out of position as seen in the second photo, and would allow debris to get inside the reel. 

These end caps do not move readily on my other two EVH 621's.  I can't move them by finger pressure alone, and I have not tried anything else.

Is there a way to correct this?  I would like to fish with this reel.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAs you can see, the end cap with the maker's mark and patent date can be rotated while the main body of the bushing remains in place.  On this reel it rotates easily -- too easily.  Light finger pressure will move it out of position as seen in the second photo, and would allow debris to get inside the reel.  

These end caps do not move readily on my other two EVH 621's.  I can't move them by finger pressure alone, and I have not tried anything else.

Is there a way to correct this?  I would like to fish with this reel.

Almost all Edward and Julius vom Hofe reels are made with this type oiler. It is unusual to find one that is loose. The oil door pivots on a single rivet, the other rivet is only installed into the plate as a place to to push the plate sideways in order to oil the reel. The rivet that is the pivot point of the plate passes through the oiling bushing and has a shop head on the inside of the reel.

Here is a EVH Commander Ross 14/0 head plate with the same oiler as your reel. The only difference is the oiling hole is not centered.

Looking at the inside of the plate you can see the rivet tail.

You could theoretically tighten this rivet by carefully squeezing it or supporting the factory rivet head on the outside of the head plate and lightly tapping the inside shop head of the rivet. Of course, you would have to break the reel down to the point of being able to get to the inside rivet tail. I do not think I would want to do that.

I think I might learn to live with the oil door the way it is. But, I think it would be possible.

BryanC

Penn Chronology

QuoteMr. John Elder looked after you well.

John is my hero, if it were not for John Elder, there would be no Penn books. He is also one of the best reel restorers on the planet!