Dog Operation?

Started by Rancanfish, March 31, 2016, 03:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I serviced two old Mitchell Spidercast bait casters yesterday. Which probably doesn't belong here in the Abu section but...

I took this pic out of an Abu post so that almost counts. The dog in the reels I did was a carbon copy of this one.

My question is;  How does this dog stay engaged without a spring pushing it onto the gear teeth, ie Penn dogs?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Hi Randy --

There is enough friction on the copper paddles that go on the top and the underside of the sleeve ratchet -- to pull it into position quickly and efficiently.

Problems crop up when these get dirty or gummed up inside though -- must be cleaned periodically for proper operation.

Seem to have worked well for many decades.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Thank you, Fred.  I stared at that thing for ten minutes.  I actually had to very carefully pull apart the second reel to see how the dog was installed. I wasn't spreading the copper paddles so it was intermittant. It would work until I put the side plate back, then immediately fail. Thankfully over the years my motto has been to buy two of everything.  8)

It doesn't help that my work station is poorly lit and my eyes are starting to go.  I have to point a super bright flashlight into the gaps to see anything.  I am going to sell off a bunch of stuff to set up a garage work bench I got for Xmas.

foakes

Sounds great on the bench, Randy!

Post some pics of your project.

Many times, I have needed to adjust or bend slightly the copper fins tighter or looser on these, as well as ABUs, and others.

To me, it has always been a marvel how they work -- but they do, and very well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Hi Randy. Those silent dogs are pretty amazing.... I have an old Ryobi bass reel with a silent dog; I did the same thing you did at first, didn't spread the copper paddles (which keep the dog centered on the ratchet as well as engage the dog when the ratchet begins to move in reverse). It's an amazingly simple design, and simple usually wins. I think they are called "silent" because there is no spring to snap the dog into the ratchet, so they make little sound.

Be well.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

fishhawk

Hi Randy, like several said, bend your copper wings in (closer together) and you should be fine.
Mark

Alto Mare

Quote from: fishhawk on April 01, 2016, 09:30:15 PM
Hi Randy, like several said, bend your copper wings in (closer together) and you should be fine.
Mark
[I have found that once you start bending the copper fins, the dogs will never work as they should again.
It does work at times, but must times...time for a new dog.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Technically correct.  But try finding Mitchell parts.....

Worse than trying to locate old Penn stuff for sure.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 01, 2016, 11:23:55 PM
Technically correct.  But try finding Mitchell parts.....

Worse than trying to locate old Penn stuff for sure.

Good point...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.