Penn 4000 Battle first model

Started by Hadge, March 31, 2016, 09:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadge

Question,, I have a 4000 penn battle. when cranking in hard, the gear seams to bind up. no noises just very hard the crank. This is the 3rd season for it and this just started. Would it be worth replacing the pinion and main gear or could it be the body of the reel is wore out? I service the reel well as I'm a reelhead. I know this maybe a unknown but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen with this reel.
Thanks ???
Hadge

alantani

i'm not the spinner guy, but it sounds like a new set of bearings is in order. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hadge

Alan,  the bearings seem fine " to me" but I'm all ears. Thanks
Hadge

johndtuttle

The Body of the Reel won't really wear out...I think Alan is on the right track and break down of the reel is in order to find the source.

The Battle is pretty simple and you can follow my tutorial on the Penn Conflict to service it. You should be able to find the source after inspection of all the parts.

Let us know how you get on.

best

Hadge

I have broke it down and serviced it many times. This season it just started acting this way. at close inspection it seem like all is correct. BUT its not.
Will double check every part. I will double check the bearings as Alan suggested.
Hadge

johndtuttle

Quote from: Hadge on April 01, 2016, 03:05:42 AM
I have broke it down and serviced it many times. This season it just started acting this way. at close inspection it seem like all is correct. BUT its not.
Will double check every part. I will double check the bearings as Alan suggested.

How much play do you have in the handle (in and out)? if the main and pinion are worn the handle may move in and out too much and need to be shimmed or replaced.

best

Hadge

I will check for that this weekend, thanks for the help. I'm at the point of how much do you spend on parts for a $100 battle, I really do like the little reel but its not built like the old ones. ;D
Hadge

johndtuttle

Quote from: Hadge on April 01, 2016, 06:21:14 PM
I will check for that this weekend, thanks for the help. I'm at the point of how much do you spend on parts for a $100 battle, I really do like the little reel but its not built like the old ones. ;D

Well, a new pinion and main gear (best to replace as a set) is about $11 (depending on size) so it might be well worth it :).

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/PennBTL4000.aspx

We like the people at Penn Parts a lot :D.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Hadge

I will admit I have put that reel though heck. On my resent tip to the Keys I know I push the reel to its limits " and maybe more" thanks for the help, it may take some time as I'm back to work but I will post the results. I like Scotts also :)
Hadge

Cone

Hadge, I would also check the back of the crosswind block make sure the groove that the post on the gear rides  in isn't messed up.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Hadge

Cone thanks, I will check that out, wish I had the reel here right now to look at all the suggestions I've gotten. I must admit this is a website full of great people. Thanks to all :)
Hadge

Hadge

well, I broke the reel completely down. Could see no Obvious problems.
Bearings , main gear, pinion, crosswind block all seam good. Guess I just start replacing parts ??? :-\
Hadge

FatTuna

I've done a ton of Penn battles.

Couple of suggestions. One is, did you delid the bearings and soak them? They have a plastic/rubber shield that can easily be picked out with a sharp fishing hook. I've noticed on these smaller reels, if you pack the bearings full of grease, it really slows them down. Couple of drops of ReelX should do the trick. I've only see a couple of bad bearings on these reels. They are surprisingly decent.

Most of the time it's the roller clutch. They rust out. If that is corroded it will make the handle hard to turn. If there is any red/brown coming out of it, just swap it. They are cheap. Around $8-10.

Are you certain you put all the shims back correctly? Try removing one shim off the drive gear and see if it turns better. If you put too many shims on there it will make the handle hard to turn. There is a shim that is supposed to go on top of the pinon gear. Any chance you stacked that on the drive gear by accident?

I replace most of the internals on most I work on because they are cheap. The crosswind block and gear are a few cents. Might as well swap those out in case they are worn.

The gears do wear on these pretty quickly as they are not premium. However, worn gears tend to make noise and feel rough.

One last thing. If there is a lot of grease inside the pinon gear, it will make the reel feel sluggish.

Hadge

fattuna, thanks I will double check those shims, the reel turns very nice with out a heavy load??
I will continue to work on it, busy with work right now. Will report back when solved. ??? ;D
Hadge

Hadge

Quote from: Hadge on March 31, 2016, 09:09:19 PM
Question,, I have a 4000 penn battle. when cranking in hard, the gear seams to bind up. no noises just very hard the crank. This is the 3rd season for it and this just started. Would it be worth replacing the pinion and main gear or could it be the body of the reel is wore out? I service the reel well as I'm a reelhead. I know this maybe a unknown but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen with this reel.
Thanks

Just got to it,, replaced the main gear, pinion gear and crosswind block. Now it works like new.
I think I pushed this reel over its means, but its fun  ;D ;D
Hadge