Shimano TR-100GT

Started by SaltH2O, April 01, 2016, 03:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltH2O

Here is the TR-100GT. 27 years old.

Handle nut cover off

Handle off. Alan has custom handles for this model.

Spin off the drag tensioner and next is the pressure washer which is the top of the drag stack

Four primary side plate screws and then two smaller secondary screws. Any order seemed to work.

Side plate off. On the crank shaft from the right end of the shaft, pressure washer, crank bearing, two drag spring pairs (the outer most spring washer is thicker than the other three), then the drag washers and discs are still packed together against the gear.

Closer shot of the drag spring pairs spread apart.

This image shows some of the washers and drag discs set pulled apart.

Slide the drag washers/discs off and then the drive gear(its tight), then the last drag disc and anti-reverse washer. Now the shaft is bear. Next off is the spool gear, yoke and anti-reverse slider.

Here is the stack from the left, the last drag disc that was against the crank gear to the pressure washer far right. The drag springs are paired together (there are 4, 2 sets of 2).

Here is a shot of the crank shaft retaining spring half on. Remove it and the crank shaft is out.

Here you can see the shaft with the anti-reverse washer, drag washer(not visible) and the crank gear. retaining spring in the foreground. In this case I left the crank gear, anti-reverse washer, & drag disc on the shaft then removed them once the shaft was removed. Either order work equally well.

Clicker side plate has four primary screws. I guess a non level wind would not have the white gear that is seen here.

I rebuilt the side plates as I took them off so I minimized the loose parts on the table. I took the clicker side plates down including the clicker switch which is seen to the right of the side plate.

Here is better image of the the other parts

Here is the side plate reassembled. I cleaned and then greased everything but the spool bushing which I later oiled with 321 just before reassembly. I greased the level wind drive gears which may slow the free spool but that is not a issue because I usually troll with these.

Here is the crank side side plate. The spool tension spring and washer are to the left.

Better shot of the spool tension assembly.

Then I the removed the anti-reverse lever assembly.

Cleaned, greased and reassembled

With the side plates rebuilt I moved on to cleaning the other parts. Drag discs were replaced with new Carbontex discs. Here is the spool gear, yoke and and spool bearing is to the left. In the middle is a cup the came off the spool gear. Some of the reels the cup came off but others the cup would not come off. I am not sure if this will be a problem later and I'm not sure which was right. The spool bearing was oiled with 321 and is ready for reinstall.

Here is a shot with the crank shaft reinstalled and the anti-reverse going back together. First drag disc is on.

Spool gear and yoke is then installed

Then the crank gear can be put on.

Here is the yoke actuator(the stamped metal) and the assembly springs installed. This order can vary.

Now the main drag discs and washers are stacked on the crank shaft. Order of these can't vary.

Then the drag spring sets go on, then the crank bearing(with the exposed bearing cage side toward the drag springs, the covered side of the bearing to outboard side), then the pressure washer.

Same assembly, but here the yoke springs are on and the pressure washer is moved away from the bearing. Two of the the reels had an extra washer that I put between the bearing and the first drag spring but I was not sure where it belonged.

Crank side plate will go right on now in this position.

This is a disassembly image, but install the star drag now so your rebuilt crank assembly (pressure washer, crank bearing and drag springs) don't not fall off when you turn the reel over to install the spool.

Okay, slide the spool in. You could probably rebuild it without removing the spool but I removed the spool.

Then the rebuilt clicker side plate goes on (some 321 oil on the spool bushing).

Then wipe off the grease and install the handle. Test it out.

All cleaned up.

All eight rebuilt. The tagged reel had a tight crank shaft ball bearing. I freed it up but will order a replacement. I will probably order replacement drag springs for all the reels at the same time and replace the springs the next time I open them up.
Hope this helps.