Tension knob question

Started by TimH, February 21, 2011, 03:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimH

A common problem I see most people have is that no matter how tight they have their tension knob, they will still backlash. Sometimes with it all the way turned up, when they disengage the spool their lure will still free fall without resistance. Besides messing with the centrifugal breaks, what is the best way to deal with this problem?

alantani

tim, some people will backlash no matter what.  i don't use spool tension at all. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

aus bass

an "educated thumb" and plenty of practice will see a stop to backlashes.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

Bryan Young

I don't use anything also, but I hear that adjustable magnetic braking is great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I've seen some ingaging the clicker....not a good idea. Your best bet is to use your thumb, like Alan and Bryan do, it's challenging, but that's what makes it fun. Practice-practice-practice! I still mess-up every now and then, but we're only human.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

no tension,smooth cast,when your lure hits the water,tree,or a low flying emu jam your thumb on the spool.works 4 me

Dominick

Thumbing a spool can be painful.  I had my thumb on the spool as I reached to pull some line off while live lining a Sardine.  A 25lb Tuna hit the sardine, and I instinctively pressed down with my thumb :P.  Dumb, I ended up with the biggest burn blister you can imagine :'(.    Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Not casting but I put my thumb on a spool full of spectra with a nice sailfish on the other end going away fast.  It didn't take long to realize my mistake and had a nickle sized blister on my thumb.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain