SL250H drag issues.

Started by Stuck, April 03, 2016, 07:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuck

I've got a graphite framed SL250H here that's causing me some grief. I've stripped it down, cleaned and lubed everything, cut some 1mm CF washers for it and re-assembled it (with double 1mm washers in the bottom to clear that lip and a 0.5mm CF underspool washer). The drag then felt like it had about 40 tight spots on every turn of the spool, all evenly spaced. I pulled it down again and honed the metal washers flat using different grades of emery cloth on a sheet of glass, thoroughly cleaned the friction surfaces in the main gear at which point I noticed a small amount of brass on the shaft side of the underspool washer. I then re-assembled it reusing the original cardboard type underspool washer but the shuddering still remains. Before I start doubting my own washer cutting skills and ordering a new set of washers as per this post, http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2047.0 , is there anything else I should check first ?.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony.

Bryan Young

I'm sorry.  I cannot even imagine what is going on with your reel.  This is the very first that I have heard of this type of occurrence. 

But let me try...

do you have metal to metal contact of the gear with the side plate or to the gear sleeve cause metal to metal binding?

Is the gear binding with the main gear.  Please make sure that the gear sleeve is well greased in the drag stack as well as where the main gear sits.

Other than that, I cannot think of what could be the cause.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wolli

Anthony,

seems the ID of the first (o.5mm) or the 2nd 1mm washer do not fit over the lip in the Main Gear and hangs up.
The ID must be just over 14mm to go over the lips and the thickness just a bit higher than the lip. If i understand right you used two 1mm cf washers which is probably too thick.

The dimensions of the original Daiwa washers:
under the Main Gear:  12x20x0.47mm  (0.5 is oke)

In Main Gear:
1. 14x24x1.50 mm
2. 14x24x1.50 mm
3. 14x24x1.50 mm

Maximum Drack Stack from bottom Main Gear to top Metal Washer 12.7 mm

Good Luck

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Stuck

Thanks for the replies fellas. You've given me some food for thought but I won't be able to get another look at it until the weekend (fingers crossed). I'll get back to you either way to let you know how I got on but I'm fairly confident with what you've given me..

Cheers,
Anthony.

Stuck

Today I added another 0.5mm washer doubling it up with the middle washer of the drag stack which gave me a stack height of 12.5mm (I might of lost the 0.2mm out of the stack when I honed the metal washers). The shuddering is now not nearly as bad so when I get another chance I'm going to try adding another 0.5mm in with the top washer.

Bryan Young

what are you using for your under the gear washer?  How this is it?

Secondly, the first in gear washer assembly has to be thick enough that during impression it clears he inner rim of the gear top event the first metal washer from contacting the inner rim.

Third, during setting the drags, is the star contacting the side plates? If so add another drag washer oin the stack or a metal washer above the stack to increase the height.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Stuck

I've cut a 0.5mm CF under the gear and I've tried replacing it with the stock washer but the shuddering was still the same. The star contacting the side plate is a good theory as I'm still under the 12.7 mm that Wolli has quoted and the shuddering is considerably less now I've increased the stack from 12 to 12.5mm so it might just need that little bit more (I might have ground the extra 0.2mm away when I honed the metal washers). I'll try adding that extra 0.5mm and we'll see what happens.