I want to try to upgrade the Belleville washer/springs in an International 80TW

Started by Nasty Wendy, April 04, 2016, 03:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasty Wendy

I saw on THT where Alan had referred someone to McMaster Carr for possible bellevilles to upgrade with and I'd like to know what size are the originals.  I'd like to already have some on hand before I dig into the reel so that I can button it up and try rather than leaving it apart while waiting on parts to arrive.  Anybody got dimensions on the bellevilles?  OD, ID, thickness?
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

Tightlines667

Just order a set of Bellevilles from Scott's. .

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-80W.aspx

If it were me, I would wait until you've disassembled before ordering parts since you will likely need other parts.    Usually you will need to replace 1 to 3 bearings, possible ratchet/clicker plate and maybe the pawl, and you may need other misc stuff (any damaged screws, pins, can parts, heavily worn gears, worn drags, marred drag washer, etc...).  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 04, 2016, 04:03:14 AM
Just order a set of Bellevilles from Scott's. .

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-80W.aspx

If it were me, I would wait until you'very disassembled before ordering parts since you will likely need other parts.    Usually you will need to replace 1 to 3 bearings, possible ratchet/clicker plate and maybe the pawl, and you may need other misc stuff (any damaged screws, pins, can parts, heavily worn gears, worn drags, marred drag washer, etc...).  

Reel is going to Cal's for a work over and 2 speed conversion.  If I can get the drag pressures where I want with belleville do-hickies then I won't have to pay for that 'blueprinting plus' service.  I need the dimensions for the bellevilles.  OD, ID, & thickness  do you have them?  Can you share them?
Hi I'm Clay.

oc1

From that link John provided for Scott's you can find a schematic and parts list for your reel.  I don't do lever drags but suspect you want disc clutch springs, part 18-80W (four required).  Scott's even provides a photo of one next to a ruler.  Looks like 1/2 inch inside diameter and 1 1/8 inch outside diameter.  Most are punched from 1/16 inch thick plate and are about twice that height with the dome.
-steve

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: oc1 on April 04, 2016, 07:42:04 AM
From that link John provided for Scott's you can find a schematic and parts list for your reel.  I don't do lever drags but suspect you want disc clutch springs, part 18-80W (four required).  Scott's even provides a photo of one next to a ruler.  Looks like 1/2 inch inside diameter and 1 1/8 inch outside diameter.  Most are punched from 1/16 inch thick plate and are about twice that height with the dome.
-steve

Thanks for pointing that out but I had seen it.  I would really prefer to not have to approximate the size based on that pic with the ruler.  I've never done reel modification before so I am limited by my lack of knowledge.  Are the exact dimensions NOT needed and close is good enough?  How much 'wiggle' room do these things have?
Hi I'm Clay.

oc1

I would just order the correct part from Scotts and be done with it.  McMaster has size 0.531 x 1.125 inch.  They cost $8.73 for a package of three and you need four of them ($17.46 plus shipping).  At Scotts the part is $3.30 each ($13.20 plus shipping).
-steve

Tightlines667

Quote from: oc1 on April 04, 2016, 08:11:30 PM
I would just order the correct part from Scotts and be done with it.  McMaster has size 0.531 x 1.125 inch.  They cost $8.73 for a package of three and you need four of them ($17.46 plus shipping).  At Scotts the part is $3.30 each ($13.20 plus shipping).
-steve

X2

It is doubtful that changing out the bellevilles alone will give you the drag range you are looking for.  I would either try to perform a complete service on the reels yourself, or just send them off to Cal.  You should only need the blueprint ingredients service if you are looking to increase the max drag, while still maintaining a manageable curve.  If you plan to fish it near stock specs, standard service will do. 

Not trying to discourage you from experimenting with te Belleville stack, but be aware you may need shims to maintain stock stack height, if you plan your use a more aggressive config.

Johj
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

John knows what he's talking about.  On the issue of whether exact dimensions are needed... probably yes.  If the washers do not fit snuggly and there is some slop then the lips will not meet in the ()() configuration.
-steve

Keta

I am not sure if I have any out of a reel (my reels are 70VS but use the same 18-80 spring washer) so I can't help with the dimensions but the 18-80W washer is thinner than the 18-80, you might try using 4 of the thicker spring washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: Keta on April 05, 2016, 01:25:33 PM
I am not sure if I have any out of a reel (my reels are 70VS but use the same 18-80 spring washer) so I can't help with the dimensions but the 18-80W washer is thinner than the 18-80, you might try using 4 of the thicker spring washers.

That is the idea I'm toying with.  The plan is order bellevilles of various thicknesses and play with them to see if something good happens.  Nothing wrong with the ones in the reel so they don't NEED to be replaced.  Its an experiment that could save some money if it works and if it doesn't work I will get experience. ;D
Hi I'm Clay.

thinkwahoo

I played with changing out the spring washers on a couple of my Intl reels, and it did increase the drag pressure, but I lost the freespool at strike.  Ran it over to Cal and was informed the ramp on the cam also needed changing to acquire the desired drag pressure yet get maintain freespool.  The cam has a very slight taper, and as you turn the adjustment knob it pushes the cam against the end of the pinion shaft.

Bottom line it's more that likely a change in the cam will provide you with all the drag you're looking for.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: thinkwahoo on April 05, 2016, 07:52:26 PM
I played with changing out the spring washers on a couple of my Intl reels, and it did increase the drag pressure, but I lost the freespool at strike.  Ran it over to Cal and was informed the ramp on the cam also needed changing to acquire the desired drag pressure yet get maintain freespool.  The cam has a very slight taper, and as you turn the adjustment knob it pushes the cam against the end of the pinion shaft.

Bottom line it's more that likely a change in the cam will provide you with all the drag you're looking for.

That is very useful info right there.  I will have to maintain free spool for when I'm not yanking Je.......uhhhhhh....Goliath Groupers out of their lairs.  The reel will first and foremost be used for what it was made for but will second as a Goliath Winch with 400ish lb test braid on a second spool.
Hi I'm Clay.