Penn Senator 9/0 rubbing

Started by ReefhawgWI, April 04, 2016, 04:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Yes, it is in good condition -- inside and out.

Should be near a wash either way --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ReefhawgWI

New reel search, is there a way to tell on line if a 9/0 has bushings vs bearings?

sdlehr

Quote from: ReefhawgWI on April 04, 2016, 05:31:46 PM
New reel search, is there a way to tell on line if a 9/0 has bushings vs bearings?
Yup. The bushings are behind a hex-head nut on the right side plate. The bearings are behind a round metal shield.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

ReefhawgWI

Thanks Sid. If it has bearings, it should have a solid spool right?

sdlehr

I believe that is correct. It should have a black anodized aluminum spool or a chromed cast bronze spool.

Here, https://www.mysticparts.com/Fishing/Reels/Penn/Senator.aspx Scott's lists a current production US Senator 115L2 (frame, not posts) for $150. I can't comment on the quality of the current production reels compared to the older ones, but I'm sure others can.... frame is better than posts - under heavy load posts can twist. That's if you want to be prepared for the big ones like you said.

Sid

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Some bushing models & all bearing models came with one piece chrome plated bronze spools also.     Rudy

Shark Hunter

Rudy is correct. It could have a cast Chrome plated spool or aluminum.
Easily determined bearing models are the end plates. Bearing in place of the bushing.

Adjustable ball bearing on the other side.

Life is Good!