Penn Senator 9/0 rubbing

Started by ReefhawgWI, April 04, 2016, 04:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReefhawgWI

I recently purchased an old Penn Senator 9/0 with linen line. I removed the old line and was spooling 80 lb mono using a fighting belt to pack line better. Half way through adding the line the reel started reeling very hard. I stopped adding line and stripped down the reel and lubed, was able to finish spooling all the line on but the spool is rubbing. I have taken it apart and rebuilt several times in case I put it together wrong, everything seems in order. There are rub marks on both sides of the spool. I tried assembling the reel with only the frame, spool and bushings and I can't get it to spin freely unless I have all the plate screws very loose (about an 1/8 of an inch added space to spin). I think I have read all the posts related to my issue and can't resolve.  Any suggestions? 

sdlehr

Hi  Reefhawg. You've got a 3-piece spool. Those are known to expand when mono line is wound on under tension. On the left side the spool is rubbing on the clicker post, on the right side bridge screws. If your reel has bearings I would get an aluminum spool, they're available at MysticParts.com If you have bushings you're going to have to find a chromed bronze one-piece spool.  I'm pretty sure that's your problem, if not someone else will correct me. I presume you're loading it with mono?

Sid

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Welcome, RH --

You do not mention if you backed off the leftside bearing -- then adjusted it in after spooling.

Plus, inspecting both side bearings for proper lube and no gouges or burrs.

And that should be done first -- just to eliminate the possibility.

But, unfortunately, it sounds as if the reel may have been loaded tightly with mono under back-pressure (the fighting belt technique?).

Mono will tend to expand the spool on those old 3 piece spools.

That is why, most anglers who will be using these reels seriously -- will opt for the aluminum spool, and switch out the bearings for new.

If the spool has expanded slightly from mono pressure -- it is likely ruined.  Might be able to adjust it back -- given luck and effort -- but the best bet is a new spool.

That is why, on these old spools, many of the old timers would run Dacron for about 25% before spooling up the mono.  Spooling pressure should be steady -- but not over-tight.

This may not be the issue at all -- but it is the first place I would look.

Others will have thoughts -- stay tuned...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ReefhawgWI

This reel has bushings not bearings, I did put about 100 yards of 65lb Powerpro down first. I read that the three pieces spools were bad but I didn't think I put that much pressure on it, makes sense though. Can I get a one piece spool if I have bushings not bearings, I thought I read that they don't fit?

Shark Hunter

That spool is probably shot, What doesn't seem normal is where it is rubbing on the inside, unless the spool has actually spread.
The three piece spools won't hold up to the abuse a one piece can.
I would either start over with a bearing reel or find a one piece spool for a bushing reel. They are out there. The shaft will be shorter where the bearing shaft spool is longer. This is a bushing reel with a one piece spool retrofit. Kind of hard to find.

Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 04, 2016, 04:45:01 PM
unless the spool has actually spread.
If it's rubbing on both sides, I think it has to have spread; posts and stand don't shrink. RH, you've gotten 3 almost identical opinions....

Sid
Sid Lehr

ReefhawgWI

I think it must have actually spread, even when all the guts are out of it, it still rubs. The reel is (was) in really nice shape, so I hate to start over.

ReefhawgWI

Thanks for everyone's help. Newbie mistakes...

ReefhawgWI

If I get a one piece spooled 9/0 can I put line on it that way?

sdlehr

Quote from: ReefhawgWI on April 04, 2016, 04:42:54 PM
This reel has bushings not bearings, I did put about 100 yards of 65lb Powerpro down first. I read that the three pieces spools were bad but I didn't think I put that much pressure on it, makes sense though. Can I get a one piece spool if I have bushings not bearings, I thought I read that they don't fit?
The new spools won't fit (aluminum). You might troll Ebay for a replacement chromed bronze spool that should work, or someone here might have one available (Randy (Vintage Offshore Tackle), or Jay (Fishgrain)). The other option is to start over with bearing side plates that will work with the new aluminum spool. We do have a WTB (want to buy) board (http://alantani.com/index.php?board=42.0) in the For Sale section of the home page you might try. If you look consistently and are patient one will eventually turn up. Best of luck.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

You may be able to mark the spool edges with chalk, grease or something to determine where it is rubbing, and try to file (or grind) down the high spots, provided your shaft is not bent, and the spool is still a solid 1-piece.  Replacement spools will likely cost as much as a used reel.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tiddlerbasher

Many years ago, out of shear ignorance, I burst a graphite spool filling it with mono - under tension :o
Each successive layer of mono will act just like stretched rubber bands. The end result is a potential for disaster. Just enough line resistance to avoid any slackness - ie minimal. Mono is not like braid, which requires 8 or 10lb drag or resistance when spooling, minimal is best ;)

ReefhawgWI

Good to know about the mono, I have been using braid for all my big fishing reels. I will be careful in the future. 

Shark Hunter

To save on the aggravation, I would offer that reel up for sale. In its condition, A collector would be interested.
Then buy a one piece spool bearing model and be done with it. JMO
Life is Good!

ReefhawgWI

Shark Hunter, exactly what I was thinking. Thanks everyone.