"Rotanium" brand Blue Grease 35287

Started by 0119, April 04, 2016, 06:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A elderly friend gave me an unopened sealed 1lb. can of Rotanium Blue Grease 35287.  He swears by it for his reels and has been using it for decades. It says its 100% waterproof for use with all industrial bearing applications.  What intrigued me most was that it was marked made by Premier Industrial Corp. on Euclid Av. in Cleveland. My father was a machinist at the Westinghouse Factory on Euclid Av.  It appears the can came from the early 80's, just my style actually.  There's no mention of ingredients listed.  Do you think it is safe to use in reels with nylon/delrin parts inside like older Ambassadeurs have?

sdlehr

There is information available for this product. Here is just a little http://msdsreport.com/ds.cfm?msds=BMCND&name=BLUE%20GREASE%2C%2035287&mfg=PREMIER%20INDUSTRIAL%20CORP

It appears that it is still being produced. You can call the manufacturer and ask about the stability. Since it was a sealed can it might still be fine to use, I don't think anyone here will know for sure.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

That answered it, contains Naptha. Thank you that was a big help.

sdlehr

Is naphtha a problem? Can you find a petroleum-based grease that doesn't contain naphtha? I doubt it....

Sid
Sid Lehr

RowdyW

It's been said that the best greases are labeled saltwater resistant or for use in saltwater. But any grease is better then none.     Rudy

Quote from: sdlehr on April 04, 2016, 07:07:24 PM
Is naphtha a problem?

I won't risk the nylon parts to it knowing what naptha does to various parts of painting equipment.  I lost a good friend to cancers that traced back to his exposure to solvents he used in the paint industry.  My daughter acquired anaplastic large cell lymphoma after being exposed to naptha and zylene on her first job in high school.  I've been a Penn grease user all my life but have lately been using it less and using Rocket Fuel Liquid Grease and Phil's Tenacious Oil in its place.  I'll just stick to that.

GClev

Just FYI- Naphtha is a very general term for a particular boiling range fraction of hydrocarbon distillates, not to be confused with naphthalene, a specific bicyclic aromatic molecule.

The thickening agent in this grease, antimony dialkyl dithiocarbamate, is not for recreational use.  It is way too toxic for a fishing reel.

Think beyond the blue.

sdlehr

Quote from: GClev on April 07, 2016, 12:03:32 AM
The thickening agent in this grease, antimony dialkyl dithiocarbamate, is not for recreational use.  It is way too toxic for a fishing reel.
And it's not insignificant at 2% by weight. Naphtha doesn't bother me any more than mineral spirits (probably very similar composition), but antimony is pretty toxic stuff.

Sid
Sid Lehr

GClev

I'm not a screaming greenie, just a concerned grandfather.  Beyond the antimony, the alkyl dithiocarbamate moeity rang a bell with me immediately (pesticide, fungicide) and then this evening, a related and somewhat notorious commercial product popped into consciousness.  If your chemical education starts and ends with google and a wiki, look up "metam-sodium" aka "vapam." 60 million pounds used in the US alone per year as a soil sterilant.  It kills anything and everything.  These compounds break down into isothiocyanates.  For a related discussion, see "Bhopal DuPont."  16,000 dead.  Not trivial. That might put my suggestion that, "We can do better," into perspective.

As fishermen, renewable resources, clean air and water, and so on, we can do better.  Safe use, safe disposal, choose the less toxic alternative, save the ocean, stream, lake, etc., etc...

Sorry.  I see molecules.

sdlehr

Quote from: GClev on April 07, 2016, 03:25:10 AM
"vapam."
I think that's the stuff  used in the farming soil in Florida to kill nematodes (worms that devour plant roots) so that commercial crops can survive to harvest. The process involves sealing the soil surface with a plastic sheet (like "tenting" the soil as in "tenting" a house for termites) and putting the chemical underneath and trapping it in for a period of time.

I hereby name GClev as the site resident chemical expert and relinquish my self-proclaimed title. He is much more deserving than I. I used to be a chemist. 30 years ago. This guy blows me out of the water. I am not worthy.... I no longer think in molecules....

GClev, if you would, please go to this post and introduce yourself and let us know your first name. It's here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16392.0

Thanks

Sid
Sid Lehr

GClev

We work better as a team.  I can be way over the top.  I sound like a bullhorn when I'd rather just be a nag, reminding you to wear your gloves.

sdlehr

I added a note to the end of reply #9
Sid Lehr

Quote from: GClev on April 07, 2016, 03:37:53 AM
I sound like a bullhorn
I'm glad you did! I tossed it quickly. I've lost too many people I care about and watch my daughter suffer because of this stuff....