Screw question...

Started by Aiala, April 04, 2016, 10:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

All right, okay, hold the puns... 12-yr-old rule, etc. (That means you, Dominick!)  ::)  :D

Anyway, Tom very helpfully told me that the socket head cap screws he uses on his CC Jigmaster plates are #5-40 size, but what size are the larger ones that fit a 114H 6/0? I'd like to know before I send in an order to McMaster-Carr.

Much obliged!   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Sal willl know for sure, Aiala --

Think 6-40, but really am not sure.

They come in boxes of 50 at about $7 - $8 a box -- which makes them a good value at around 15 cents each.

You will probably use them eventually -- but if you don't think you might -- I would split the order with you.

Just the regular screws from Penn are 75 cents each -- not even SS hex.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cortez_Conversions

Aiala,
The larger senators use 8-40 screws for the side plates.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

RowdyW

6-40 is for the 113H & smaller reels for the bridge, 5-40 for the plates.. The 114H takes a larger diameter screw. A #8 possibly?      Rudy

RowdyW

Tom, are the bridge screws #8 also?

handi2

And 8-40 screws are impossible to find..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: RowdyW on April 04, 2016, 11:08:44 PM

I'll check when I get home tonight.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Shark Hunter

I don't see any except for black oxide and they are in an assortment.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on April 04, 2016, 11:06:33 PM
6-40 is for the 113H & smaller reels for the bridge, 5-40 for the plates.. The 114H takes a larger diameter screw. A #8 possibly?      Rudy
8-40
You will have a hard time finding those.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on April 04, 2016, 11:36:35 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on April 04, 2016, 11:08:44 PM

I'll check when I get home tonight.

The bridge screws are #10, looks like 10-32, but I don't have a pitch gauge here at home.

Alto Mare

I just checked Tom, 32 threads per inch on those.
Looks like the 10-32 will work on all bridge from the 114 to the 118.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 05, 2016, 12:53:04 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on April 04, 2016, 11:06:33 PM
8-40
You will have a hard time finding those.

Sal
Sal, next month, when we're in the Penn plant, if we spot any of these 8-40 screws, you create a diversion; I'll take care of the rest.  ;D ;D ;D

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Sid, I we are looking for ss screws, Penn might not have those :-\

sdlehr

They "might" not have those leaves some room for they "might" actually have them. You know I was just trying to make a joke, but it might be a good question to ask about when we are there. Might there be some technical snafu that makes fabrication of these SS screws difficult? It wouldn't seem so. Maybe it's just a situation where there isn't much of a demand.... Might Alan Chui be of assistance?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tiddlerbasher

8-40 screws are used by gunsmiths. My Weaver scope mount uses 8-40. So it may be worth trying a few gunsmiths - ss is still going to be a pain in the ****