Screw question...

Started by Aiala, April 04, 2016, 10:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Are 8-40 and 10-32 HSS dies relatively easy to come by in the 'States?
Would be interested in purchasing both of these sizes, with taps.

RowdyW

I got mine on ebay. The ones I got were made in China. I only need them to chase threads not cut new threads.      Rudy

Rothmar2

Thanks Rudy, but I intend to be cutting fresh threads from rod stock, and have already learnt the Chinese EBay stuff isn't always up to the task. There are some good quality German made taps/dies, but postage is ridiculous from Europe-Australia. More than the cost of the tools!

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Rothmar2 on April 06, 2016, 04:37:51 AM
Are 8-40 and 10-32 HSS dies relatively easy to come by in the 'States?
Would be interested in purchasing both of these sizes, with taps.

Let me know what you want, and next time I send something down to you I'll throw them in the box.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Rothmar2

Thanks for the generous offer Tom. Really just need the 8-40 and 10-32 HSS dies. Mike (mhc) is more likely to be ordering more of your fine work in the near future. Send them to him, and he can forward them on from there. I'm still copping grief from the Finance Minister over the Jigmaster plates! But they are worth every bit of the coin and the gripes!  :-*

Penn Chronology

QuoteAnyway, Tom very helpfully told me that the socket head cap screws he uses on his CC Jigmaster plates are #5-40 size, but what size are the larger ones that fit a 114H 6/0? I'd like to know before I send in an order to McMaster-Carr.

I believe it is a fine thread size; 8-32. That would seem logical using a standard fine thread fastener.

http://www.americanfastener.com/tap-and-drill-size-chart/

RowdyW

I believe they are 8-40 & 10-32 for the bridge,    Rudy

Dominick

I don't understand how I missed this thread.  Especially since Aiala baited me with a challenge to stay within the 12 year old rule.  So now I have to answer a screw question and stay within the rule.  I accept the challenge.  In answering all questions about screwing one is directed to Webster's Dictionary.  Oops! even Webster cannot keep it in the 12 year old rule.  Going to the Urban Dictionary really goes outside the realm of what is proper.  Therefore, I am going screwy just trying to be funny and keeping within the rule.  So screw it I can't.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on August 05, 2016, 07:10:10 PM
Therefore, I am going screwy just trying to be funny and keeping within the rule. So screw it I can't. 

Well, at least you screwed up enough courage to give it a try.  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on August 05, 2016, 07:10:10 PM
I don't understand how I missed this thread.  Especially since Aiala baited me with a challenge to stay within the 12 year old rule.  So now I have to answer a screw question and stay within the rule.  I accept the challenge.  In answering all questions about screwing one is directed to Webster's Dictionary.  Oops! even Webster cannot keep it in the 12 year old rule.  Going to the Urban Dictionary really goes outside the realm of what is proper.  Therefore, I am going screwy just trying to be funny and keeping within the rule.  So screw it I can't.  Dominick
I think you got a screw loose ::) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.